Cigarette smoke as a deer attractant.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Very weird - it's not fair, is it? :mad:

After many many many failures of using X, Y, or Z items to attract deer, both scent and noise of many kinds, the ONLY thing that I can say for sure, for positive, 100% HAS worked on several occasions, to actually bring a deer from far away, straight to me to investigate, is a doe bleat can.

Don't get me wrong - it only works maybe one in 1,000 times you hit it, but when it has worked, there is a clear causal effect that cannot be chalked up to sheer happenstance. It has brought in fawns and young bucks on at least 4 occasions I can think of. I passed on all but one little 120 lb 6-pt buck, as it was my first archery deer ever.

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the last 5 deer I have shot I either dropped my cig or put it in my front hand.Last Sept. while in Minn. hunting bear had them all around me while smoking, put it out and they left.I think it has to be that they have yet to associate cig. smoke with humans.i know it is crazy, but had 2 small fork horns under my stand the whole time I was smoking and they didn't care and they were literally right in the wind pattern.I even tested it by trying to get as much smoke to them as possible.I have even seen this with very old and mature does as well.

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have hunted as a smoker and a non smoker and there is a huge difference.It isn't as big of a deal for rifle hunters,but it can ruin a great hunt.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my hunting buddies has NEVER shot a dear without a cig burning. I rode him hard when he fist started hunting about the importance of scent control and as much as I hate to admit it, he usually shoots a nicer dear than I do.

Thats something I'll share with you fellers, but I'd never say that in his company.

Next season for kicks I am gonna light one let it burn near the stand. What can it hurt? :rubhands:

the man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As Joker says... I don't think it's near as big of a deal for rifle hunters. Bow hunting is a much different story. I've watched my dad smoke for 30 years out in the field...one right after another. I've argued with him forever about it...but he continues to prove me wrong. He has taken several mature 140+/- inch deer over the years.
I do believe however that for every mature deer that walks within his shooting distance...he may spook several others. At least that is what keeps me arguing with him. I guess there is truly no way to know. I do think that any unnatural scent in the woods hurts you when bowhunting. I know there are others that will argue and have specific cases of sticking big deer...but there is no way to know how many have steered clear.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The deer I've had come in to me when smoking was while bowhunting.

There's something I've done that has always worked for me. Brings them in, old and young. One time it worked so well, that before I could do anything with my bow, I had 12 deer within 20 yards of me. There was no way to get a shot off. My fault for using too many of these.

Take a 35mm film cannister and poke holes in the lid. Put two cotton balls in it, and soak in Vanilla Extract. I mean until they're dripping! Never fails to bring in deer. Just don't use too many of them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom