Classic Chevy keys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would use the same style keys so no matter.

I was at the south side gym years ago and after watching the matches i went outside to leave and some guy was coat hangering his glass to try and open his door on a Monte Carlo.
He said he locked his keys in the car.

I said stop for a minute and lets see if my key will fit the door as they only had 50 combinations.

HA it unlocked his door.
Keys were hanging in the ignition.
Neighbor got a new to him 2016 truck with a bed cover and no key to unlock it.
He was about to drill or destroy it and I said I have a quart jar full of keys.

Found one that worked with a little jiggling.
Got the lock cylinders out and he found some keys in his stash that fit into the cylinder and I keyed his locks to work with his keys.
No drilling required.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you get down to Yukon I will loan you all my gm keys and maybe one will fit.
I had a couple Novas.
I appreciate that, going to keep searching for a day or two since the guy won't be able to pick it up until Saturday. I talked to the guy you mentioned, Tom's Speedy Lock and he said that the trunk and glovebox are the same with the doors and ignition the same. That would make it simpler to get some made, We never had the doors on it locked so not really sure which key worked the doors.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will drive out to mcloud with keys if you wish.
not that far Sure be better to try that than take stuff apart if you do not have to,
I am on the phone with my buddy that had all the keys he is looking also.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will drive out to mcloud with keys if you wish.
not that far Sure be better to try that than take stuff apart if you do not have to,
I am on the phone with my buddy that had all the keys he is looking also.
Man that's too kind of you to offer that but I couldn't impose like that, I do plan on being in the city on Wednesday or Thursday if you'd like to meet somewhere. I have the door lock and the glovebox lock out so might be able to narrow it down easily.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a locksmith on 39th in Bethany Toms speedy lock and key.
I had 2 keys made for Toyota's and he said pull the passenger front door lock and it should have a code on the lock and he can stamp a key from that code.

Less than 60 bucks for the 2 keys for 2 different vehicles and it only took him less than 15 minutes.
Awesome way to go.

If this is a very old chevy like 1980 or older I have a few keys you can try.
I think they only made 50 different keys and odds are pretty good that someone with an older chevy would have a key.

My buddy had every one of them at one time and has misplaced the huge key ring with all of them on it.
Exactly. Keys were distributed by region back in the day. One for door, the other for ignition.
My elderly dad was driving a Ford LTD, driving to walmart.
He came out of the store, went down the rows of cars and spotted a tan one like his. Unlocked the door with one key but couldn't get the ignition key to work.
While he was fumbling with the ignition key, the much younger real owner of the vehicle opened the door and dragged my dad out to the asphalt. Realized he wasn't a threat and asked WTF are you doing in my car? After a discussion, and a search, they found dads car one row over with both keys working just fine. He bought an ornament to put on the antenna so that would never happen again.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A big thanks and shoutout to Swampratt, he let me borrow a bag of keys to try, too bad none would work, some fit in but woudn't turn. On a side note I could talk cars with him for hours and he has given me the itch to search the property for cedar logs that are big enough to make some benches out of. LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom