Classic Chevy keys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea where I can get keys made for an older (1972) chevy? One big problem is we can't find the old one. Wife started it yesterday and now the keys are MIA, to add to the saga, we have it pending sale. Read online that it's possible to take a door lock out and take to a locksmith but wondering if they even carry single cut keys anymore and I see where I can order a new ignition/door set but to get the old out the ignition has to be in ACC position, no key no ACC. About wore us out searching for them between the car her studio, the house and the shop. Anyone with helpful suggestions?

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks all, figured those old key blanks had went the way of the dodo bird. I'll be checking with a local first then try Mayfair since we'll be in that area in a couple days anyway.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a locksmith on 39th in Bethany Toms speedy lock and key.
I had 2 keys made for Toyota's and he said pull the passenger front door lock and it should have a code on the lock and he can stamp a key from that code.

Less than 60 bucks for the 2 keys for 2 different vehicles and it only took him less than 15 minutes.
Awesome way to go.

If this is a very old chevy like 1980 or older I have a few keys you can try.
I think they only made 50 different keys and odds are pretty good that someone with an older chevy would have a key.

My buddy had every one of them at one time and has misplaced the huge key ring with all of them on it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OH check clothing pockets and of course the trash cans if you have not checked those.

Found my friends wife's wedding ring in the trash she wiped it up after cleaning dishes.
I found my wife's keys in the trash once.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OH check clothing pockets and of course the trash cans if you have not checked those.

Found my friends wife's wedding ring in the trash she wiped it up after cleaning dishes.
I found my wife's keys in the trash once.
I have to ring my wife's phone to find it all the time. Once I found it in the freezer with the frozen hamburger patties. 🤪

Latest posts

Top Bottom