cleaning after corrosive ammo?!?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
so, ran some ammo that i am pretty sure is surplus corrosive primed ammo. i have seen the posts about some guy saying he did not care about using corrosive ammo, "he just pours a gallon of water down the pipe afterwords"

i did not know if this was an exaggeration, or if i am actually supposed to pour water down the barrel.

here is what i did, i put an old rag under the muzzle, and sprayed gun scrubber solvent through it until it ran clear and left no mark on the rag, then ran my cloths with break free clp a few times to coat the barrel.

is this sufficient? or do i need to do it better?

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bolt Gun:
I would copper brush / Hoppes #9 the barrel. Then spray windex down the barrel from the breach. Run a dry patch. Run a lightly oiled patch.

Gas Gun:
Do all the bolt gun stuff, but you'll need to get the windex in the gas system too. The windex neutralizes the hygroscopic salts that attract moisture and cause corrosion.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your ammo was probably berdan primed, which is corrosive. The procedure for cleaning after using this type of ammo was to use hot soapy water and clean the barrel and bore. Swab dry and then apply a coating of oil.

From your description, I think you'll be fine.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You need to get something water/ammonia based through it ASAP. The CLP may hold it off for a day or two but it won't for long.

Dustin's windex advise is good. It's cheap too.

Ballistol is the best as it was invented for this very thing but most folks don't have it setting around.

ETA: Gunscrubber will not neutralize the corrosive salts. Only something water based or ammonia based will. Also if you use windex make sure it's the old fashioned kind. Not this new enviro-weeny crap my wife just bought. It's "non-ammoniated".

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot TONS of corrossive 7.62 X 39 thru my AK's, Nagants, PSL, etc.. I have a big squirt-bottle of windex that I take to the range with me.

Make sure the gun is empty

Spray down the barrel from the breech. Let it all run down the barrel and drip out the end.

Spray down the gas tube. Let it all run thru the gas port and run out the end of the barrell.

Spray the bolt face.

Completely disassemble and clean normally with Ballistol, then CLP when I get home.

My guns look good as new.

Corrossive ammo is nothing to be afraid of....unless someone is shooting it at you!

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may not be, but if you don't have a definite way of telling the difference, treat it like it is. To me, Berdan is Corrosive no matter what the box may say.

That's really the best way to treat it.
You should be cleaning your gun after use anyway.
Just adding a couple steps to the process is all.
When in doubt whoop it out.

I've heard that just plain water will work also.
I still use a mixture of amonia and water in mine.
It's cheap, so why not.

12gabackup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may not be, but if you don't have a definite way of telling the difference, treat it like it is. To me, Berdan is Corrosive no matter what the box may say.
I agree if, the ammo is not from reliable source. I just have a problem with such broad sweeping, all-encompassing statements. (no offense intended)
The majority of ammo made outside of the USA is berdan primed. Not all of it is corrosive.

One easy way to test it is to pull the bullet and dump the powder out of a round of non-corrosive and one that is questionable. Fire the empty case of the non-corrosive and then the unknown (up close) at a piece of clean, bare steel. Then see if the unknown corrodes faster than the known.

You can also normally do a headstamp search and find out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom