College Football Smack Talk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the point, if CW is even a finalist, it will be unprecedented.
Everything is unprecedented 'til it happens. Put another way, there's a first time for everything, so I'm thinking we agree on that.

I'm not saying he's going to win, or even be a finalist, but he does deserve some consideration. Besides, it's just talk for now.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since 1984 there have been 9 games in which a team came back from 30 plus point deficits to win. None of those QB's won the Heisman. So yes, there have been players who had that kind of impact on their teams, but it takes more than that to win a Heisman. That's the point, if CW is even a finalist, it will be unprecedented.

Being a freshman isn't going to help him much this year, either.

I get it... it's an emotional appeal for Williams to be considered, but pragmatically it's kind of silly to consider him a serious candidate at this point. He probably will be before it's all over...I think Kirk Herbstreit has a vote, so.... No one will be happier than me, whether it's this year or in the next couple.
Your points are valid. It’s still extremely early, but what does it for me is he’s only played 1.5 games while having missed his entire senior season in HS, and yet he installed a functional rudder on a rudderless ship. I don’t think he has it in the bag by any stretch but it’s sure is fun to watch and the buzz just adds to it. Usually the “buzz” is just bloviation but time will tell.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They’re not the first to mention that. IIRC, Kirk Herbstreit and the other guy in the booth were talking about that during the TCU game. Their position was that nobody else has really stuck out this year, and all of the preseason favorites have pretty much fallen by the wayside. Caleb has not just had an impact, he has done it at an elite program by replacing a preseason Heisman favorite; if someone had done the same at Alabama (*cough*Tua Tagovaiola*cough*), Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson, or another high-profile program, he’d be under the same kind of consideration.

It’s kind of early to be crowning him the next Heisman winner, but he has earned some consideration.

Well, I don't think I'm the only one, but I don't think Rattler should have been the preseason favorite to win the heisman. Personally, it's asinine to have that type of ranking anyways. Why? This season is your answer. Not much has stood out. Your sentiment about Caleb now is exactly what I saw on the board about Rattler prior to this seaon and the end of last season. OU fans are known for short-lived support when a player or coach has success and then goes through some difficulties. I actually hope CW does well but I know when he stumbles the OU fans won't be kind.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why the OKC market suddenly carries Cleveland Browns and Arizona Cardinals games, those fickle OU fans.
And you cut out half my quote, I see. Bob Stoops loses some games and OU fans call for his firing, time and time again. The last couple years of Stoops tenure, several of the assistance coaches weren't liked too much by the OU fans and calls for firings were rampent. Rattler, the preseason heisman leader, has a few tough outings while still winning the games and they want change. Your comments about the OKC market carrying the Browns and Cardinals games is irrelevent to my comment as Mayfield and Murray didn't have the dips late in their carriers before the NFL draft and have had nice NFL careers so far. Why wouldn't the local providers carry those teams games? Youd be a fool to not carry them. Its all about the money. So what's your point?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And you cut out half my quote, I see. Bob Stoops loses some games and OU fans call for his firing, time and time again. The last couple years of Stoops tenure, several of the assistance coaches weren't liked too much by the OU fans and calls for firings were rampent. Rattler, the preseason heisman leader, has a few tough outings while still winning the games and they want change. Your comments about the OKC market carrying the Browns and Cardinals games is irrelevent to my comment as Mayfield and Murray didn't have the dips late in their carriers before the NFL draft and have had nice NFL careers so far. Why wouldn't the local providers carry those teams games? Youd be a fool to not carry them. Its all about the money. So what's your point?
The point is that this is not a market for Cleveland, and they were showing that team because of Mayfield, despite how well or poorly the Browns (or Mayfield) were playing.

And you're acting like OU is the only team with some fans who call for getting rid of players and coaches when things aren't going well, when all teams have fans like that (*cough*Mike Gundy*cough*). Well, maybe except for the Cubs.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I don't think I'm the only one, but I don't think Rattler should have been the preseason favorite to win the heisman. Personally, it's asinine to have that type of ranking anyways. Why? This season is your answer. Not much has stood out. Your sentiment about Caleb now is exactly what I saw on the board about Rattler prior to this seaon and the end of last season. OU fans are known for short-lived support when a player or coach has success and then goes through some difficulties. I actually hope CW does well but I know when he stumbles the OU fans won't be kind.
Some might expect excellence after spending 370 million on stadium renovation and 10 million a year in coaching salaries, I would if it were my money, I mean none of us are Jerry Jones. At the elite level you either produce get stacked. I have watched enough video of Rattler to know he was an a$$ hole in highschool and I cant imagine NIL has helped with his sense of entitlement. I smell Rhett Bohmar here

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

OU fans are spoiled no doubt there, Heisman winners and all. However they aren't responsible for the hype the media puts on players. Fans in general aren't kind to players when they have difficulties. You should hear all the comments my OSU fan friends make about Poke Spencer...... and of course.... on any given day... whichever day the wind blows..... you'll hear them ask for Gundy's head. When you explain they will just go back to being a stepping stone, they don't want to hear it. Fans will be fans.

Latest posts

Top Bottom