College Football Smack Talk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't stand Ohio State...

If the Big 12 sucks so bad according to everyone else, why do they want all our coaches.
Unrelated, but interesting. The 10 longest-tenured active FBS head coaches

This isn’t even accurate anymore. Frank Solich is out, Gary Patterson is out… Gundy is 3rd or tied 2nd in the nation (depending if you count seasons over hire date) for longest tenure.

Long tenured coaches is an exception now. Don’t think we will ever see a Joe Paterno (probably a good thing) or Bobby Bowden again.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have a question for you all. Just an observation. Does anyone else find it interesting that college football headcoaches are able to fly on private jets and get all sorts of additional perks but if a high school recruit were to get off a private jet to do a college tour/campus visit all hell would break loose and penalties and sanctions would come down in a hard and fast.

Now, I'm not a big fan of the whole NIL thing that is going on in college sports but also don't agree with the additional perks HC are getting these days either. I have no problem with them getting big salaries but how the NCAA is allowing offers to include special housing incentives, use of private jets, country club memberships, etc, etc. NCAA head coaches should negotiate their highest salaries possible but then use their own funds to pay for their own lifestyles after that. Is it just me or what am I missing?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have a question for you all. Just an observation. Does anyone else find it interesting that college football headcoaches are able to fly on private jets and get all sorts of additional perks but if a high school recruit were to get off a private jet to do a college tour/campus visit all hell would break loose and penalties and sanctions would come down in a hard and fast.

Now, I'm not a big fan of the whole NIL thing that is going on in college sports but also don't agree with the additional perks HC are getting these days either. I have no problem with them getting big salaries but how the NCAA is allowing offers to include special housing incentives, use of private jets, country club memberships, etc, etc. NCAA head coaches should negotiate their highest salaries possible but then use their own funds to pay for their own lifestyles after that. Is it just me or what am I missing?

Those incentives are generally private donations from what I've seen..... so I'm not sure why it upsets you? It's either that or pay them even more.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those incentives are generally private donations from what I've seen..... so I'm not sure why it upsets you? It's either that or pay them even more.
Well, I'm not sure where that money or incentives comes from. That being said, why is it good for a big donor to a program to throw their personal wealth at an NCAA coach but it is not good to throw it to an athlete? It's not a matter of getting paid more money if the perks aren't available due to NCAA rules. THey get paid what they negotiate.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure where that money or incentives comes from. That being said, why is it good for a big donor to a program to throw their personal wealth at an NCAA coach but it is not good to throw it to an athlete? It's not a matter of getting paid more money if the perks aren't available due to NCAA rules. THey get paid what they negotiate.

What do you mean by you're not sure? If a dealership donates a car to the HC at OU, then it's pretty apparent where the money comes from. Private jet? Pretty easy to see who owns it. What does it matter if someone donates it or he pays for it out of his salary?

If you're worried about an athlete being able to ride a private jet, I'm sure that's coming given the NIL deals already out there.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, not sure. Exactly what i said. Some things can be traced back to who gave the perks, most things can't. pretty simple. And, wht does it matter? IMO, it matters a lot with the current system that is setup, as far as I'm concerned. See, it the person pays for it himself and the HC can afford it then by all means, take your private jet. If someone donates the private jet (or give a free car, or country club memebership or pays their house/apartment rent, etc) then that should be against NCAA rules. Is it now? Obviously not but, IMO, it should be. If a player or recruit can't do it or receive those perks then sure as hell a HC or anyone on his staff shouldn't be able to do it unless fully paid for by themselves. IF the NIL rules chage this then so be it.

THe NCAA has policys and procedures that must be abided by, just like any company or corporation. These p&p should be the same for recruits, players and coaches. You may not like it or agree but that is just my opinion as I stated several posts above.

Latest posts

Top Bottom