Collet Bushing Fitment?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to restore my 1911 to it's former glory. It came from factory with a collet bushing that broke one day shooting. Before handing it over to a reputable smith, (recommendations welcome) I would like to know what all is involved in installing a new collet bushing. Money is not an issue.

I looked for a while trying to find this information, but to no luck. Maybe if someone knows something about it, this thread could help future people with the same question.

Thanks,
Gypsy

V98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the problem will be finding a collet bushing. My series 70 had the original collet bushing and barrel.

I removed it and installed a solid bushing fit to the original Colt barrel. I did this because I feared it would break.

I still have the collet bushing to be able to restore the pistol to it’s original state.

I’ll keep an eye on this thread. Best of luck!

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The collet bushing was one of the worst designs Colt ever did! I can't think of any of them that didn't break at some point in time. Some lasted a couple thousand rounds, most only lasted a few boxes. You would be FAR better off replacing it with a standard bushing, or you will be replacing it again, and again, and again!

Gypsy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The collet bushing was one of the worst designs Colt ever did! I can't think of any of them that didn't break at some point in time. Some lasted a couple thousand rounds, most only lasted a few boxes. You would be FAR better off replacing it with a standard bushing, or you will be replacing it again, and again, and again!
The problem with this is if I want a standard bushing on a 1911, I'll go buy one with a standard bushing.

I plan on having a standard bushing fitted as well, but I want the collet on there to restore it to its original state as posted earlier in the thread. Much of what I'm reading says it's mostly a drop in part? If there's anything special about installing one I want to know.

Thanks,
Gypsy

V98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As long as you have the correct barrel it should be a drop in. The collet barrel is/was tapered differently than a non-collet barrel. I’m not a smith but that was both my understanding and experience.

Latest posts

Top Bottom