Colorado Restoration of Gray Wolves initiative qualifies for 2020 ballot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wolves are an important part of the ecosystem.

Much of the anti-wolf hysteria very closely matches the tactics of anti-gunners. Half-truths, fear mongering, and distortions.

Domestic dogs and coyotes kill more cattle than wolves in other areas of reintroduction (dogs more than twice as many and coyotes almost 10x as many). (USDA, 2015)

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahms/general/downloads/cattle_calves_deathloss_2015.pdf

A solid management plan that includes keeping the wolf population in check is obviously required though.

Wolves are an important part of the ecosystem. Without them the system suffers. With them, everything in the system is healthier. Including the grasses, trees, insects, birds and soil and water.

Anti-wolf hysteria is as good of a description as I've heard.

It's all ********.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wolves are an important part of the ecosystem. Without them the system suffers. With them, everything in the system is healthier. Including the grasses, trees, insects, birds and soil and water.

Anti-wolf hysteria is as good of a description as I've heard.

It's all ********.

Please describe to me how the ecosystem in Colorado or even Oklahoma has suffered without the wolves being there with a historical population they both had in the past?
I’m missing something here.
How are the wolves going to be kept in check?
Every time a state wildlife agency attempts to open a season, the tree huggers take it to a federal tree hugging court to get it shut down while the wolves continue to decimate wild game populations.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Bullshat. The ecosystem has perked along just fine in states that had wolves in the past and were eradicated. Oklahoma being one.

A solid management plan that includes keeping the wolf population in check is obviously required though.

Splain to me how the wolf population will be managed by state wildlife agencies when Federal courts shut down every attempt to do so when the state is using actual scientific data to prove the population is stable enough to allow sport hunting that will allow them to control the population.
I fall back to it’s a back door method to shut down hunting big game.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got to disagree with you on this one Dennishoddy. Wolfs pick off the weak and injured of big game species. They will eat whatever they can catch of smaller animals like rabbits and they do make game more wary so they are harder to hunt. But they do not destroy herds.

"According to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, elk numbers have increased over the last 25 years in every state with wolves – including Oregon. The fall 2009 edition of the Bugle states that over the last 15 years while Montana’s wolf population has grown from 48 to 497, elk numbers have increased from 94,000 to 150,000. Meanwhile, the success rate of elk hunters increased from 16.7% to 21.5%!

Wolves are opportunistic and therefore much more likely to harvest the weakest animals and in turn increase the overall fitness of prey species. Trophy human hunters on the other hand are more likely to kill the biggest, fittest animals."

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please describe to me how the ecosystem in Colorado or even Oklahoma has suffered without the wolves being there with a historical population they both had in the past?
I’m missing something here.
How are the wolves going to be kept in check?
Every time a state wildlife agency attempts to open a season, the tree huggers take it to a federal tree hugging court to get it shut down while the wolves continue to decimate wild game populations.

It's all pretty well documented, like Rick said. Additionally, in areas where heards are, the ecosystems have boomed, most notably in fauna. As predators give chase, heards spend more time on the hoof, allowing more areas to grow more food. More food equals larger populations.

Hard to give an example of Oklahoma as our country and ranching is completely different on a much smaller scale. We still mimic predator behavior though. While lazy ranchers will drop feed for cattle, successful ranchers move their cattle around to different sections, allowing the fauna to recuperate. Wolves reintroduced this natural regeneration method to wild populations. It's a good thing.

Look on the bright side... eventually, some thin-bearded granola hipster will film himself trying to pet a wolf, and that video will be tragically hilarious.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Splain to me how the wolf population will be managed by state wildlife agencies when Federal courts shut down every attempt to do so when the state is using actual scientific data to prove the population is stable enough to allow sport hunting that will allow them to control the population.
I fall back to it’s a back door method to shut down hunting big game.

Oh look. Wyoming now has a wolf season. $21 tag and a 4 month season. https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Regulation-PDFs/REGULATIONS_CH47_BROCHURE.pdf

Idaho does too. https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/seasons-rules-big-game-2019-2020-wolf.pdf

Much of the hysteria around the feds shutting down management efforts came from the early days of reintroduction when they were bickering over whether the population numbers were right for hunting.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Much of the anti-wolf hysteria very closely matches the tactics of anti-gunners. Half-truths, fear mongering, and distortions.

Domestic dogs and coyotes kill more cattle than wolves in other areas of reintroduction (dogs more than twice as many and coyotes almost 10x as many). (USDA, 2015)

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahms/general/downloads/cattle_calves_deathloss_2015.pdf

Thank you...sheesh

Latest posts

Top Bottom