Colorado Springs Wildfire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My fire chief was talking about this video tonight after a fire call. Watching this video puts chills down my neck and arms. It shows just how fast a fire can move, and shows how real the devastation it leaves behind. I have been in similar situations a couple of times, and I can't completely describe all the feelings that overwhelm me during the short time it takes for the fire to devour everything as it comes toward you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Makes the scope of our fires around here pretty managable. I've got some friends who are BIA/Forestry FF's who were on this fire and the one at Ft. Collins, it was unlike anything we've ever gone too before just because of the number of stuctures involved they said. A lot of brave men and women did an incredible job. Your fire dept. or fire district can put up a truck for paid deployment on fires like this if interested. I've looked into it here but there are too many county hoops to jump thru and it's hard too find three guys to commit for 14 days at a time.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, Okie4570 I hear ya on that. Our trucks are funded mostly by city and some county tax dollars. It would be hard to justify to the city tax payers, why we are taking there truck 500 miles for fire suppression. Especially if it leaves us short handed enough, we have a significant loss of property here. We have one Ford 3/4 ton cab and chassis that was donated by the forestry grant, we put a bed, and tank/pump skid on it. We also have a 5000 gallon tanker that is on a forestry cab and chassis, but its only safe to drive empty about 50 mph and not sure it would make the round trip.

On a side note, we were on a fire today that was very near a trailer house that was being set up. The lady that is the resident there, came up to us, very scared and was asking if we were staying all night to watch in case it flared up. She informed us that they had just left Colorado Springs to get away from the wildfire. She was originally from the area.

vicsinner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know its amazing yet kind of sad how quick you can lose your stuff or possibly your life. I lived out there for 5 years. Its a beautiful state and all my friends there have been keeping me posted. If you all are so inclined and care to donate and get a cool shirt. I have a friend that made up a neat logo and had some shirts and stickers made. All proceeds will go to the Red Cross and the Colorado State Fire Fighters Association. My friend Devin is a transplant as well there aren't many true Native Coloradoans. Apologies for the shameless plug if you want to its up to you just thought I would share the info.

http://heartsonfireco.bigcartel.com/about

I've always had great respect for the guys that jump into those burning buildings and forests to fight something that unpredictable. My cousin was a firehouse Chief in Detroit years ago. Wow talk about out of the frying pan Oklahomabassin that lady must have been freaked.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't even click on the video. Those things scare me ****less ... Fire is NOT something you mess around with. It always amazes me the folks that stay 'til the very last minute. If that thing is close enough they are telling folks they have 10 or 20 minutes to get out I promise you I will have already been gone for an hour or 2.

You guys who go fight those things are heroes.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amazing damage that fire can do so quickly. Sure hope people living there thank all those that worked trying to save what they could. Feel bad for those who lost their homes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom