Common sense compromises re the gun control debate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Before you become irate re any "compromises", the author is responding to a tree hugging gun grabbing liberal blog. Here's her blog.

http://www.commongunsense.com/2010/09/where-there-is-open-mind.html

Here's the author's response (hence, the title of this thread.

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2010/09/ok-ill-play.html?m=1

I was most impressed with his analogy:

I hear a lot about "compromise" from your camp ... except, it's not compromise.

Let's say I have this cake. It is a very nice cake, with "GUN RIGHTS" written across the top in lovely floral icing. Along you come and say, "Give me that cake."

I say, "No, it's my cake."

You say, "Let's compromise. Give me half." I respond by asking what I get out of this compromise, and you reply that I get to keep half of my cake.

Okay, we compromise. Let us call this compromise The National Firearms Act of 1934.

There I am with my half of the cake, and you walk back up and say, "Give me that cake."

I say, "No, it's my cake."

You say, "Let's compromise." What do I get out of this compromise? Why, I get to keep half of what's left of the cake I already own.

So, we have your compromise -- let us call this one the Gun Control Act of 1968 -- and I'm left holding what is now just a quarter of my cake.

And I'm sitting in the corner with my quarter piece of cake, and here you come again. You want my cake. Again.

This time you take several bites -- we'll call this compromise the Clinton Executive Orders -- and I'm left with about a tenth of what has always been MY DAMN CAKE and you've got nine-tenths of it.

Then we compromised with the Lautenberg Act (nibble, nibble), the HUD/Smith and Wesson agreement (nibble, nibble), the Brady Law (NOM NOM NOM), the School Safety and Law Enforcement Improvement Act (sweet tap-dancing Freyja, my finger!)

I'm left holding crumbs of what was once a large and satisfying cake, and you're standing there with most of MY CAKE, making anime eyes and whining about being "reasonable", and wondering "why we won't compromise".

I'm done with being reasonable, and I'm done with compromise. Nothing about gun control in this country has ever been "reasonable" nor a genuine "compromise".

I really liked it.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is the compromise I'm willing to make. Lock up the bad guys with no hope of release before their due date and, I'll keep my guns.

I am a supporter of minimum mandatory sentences for criminals who use guns during a crime. That is about as far as I give on the gun control issue.

michaelnc4444

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just wrote my officials and the President, here is what I wrote...

To our elected officials,

1st Amendment acknowledges you are free, the 2nd Amendment acknowledges you have the right to defend your freedom. I use the word acknowledges because contrary to the misinformed, the Constitution does not "grant" freedom. Freedom is inalienable. As I am sure you all know, that means you cannot take it from us, the citizens. I write this to appeal to your sense of duty. Your duty as elected officials is to uphold the Constitution. Trying to take any guns out of the hands of the citizenry is a direct violation of the Constitution you are sworn to uphold. Do the right thing, do the only lawful thing, do the ONLY American thing and vote against any form of gun control. Thank you.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is a very true statement. If we were to give even one inch they would want 100 miles. We just simply cannot afford to give on anything. And if we do, then we WILL eventually lose all of our 2A rights. I am tired of hearing people say that we cannot lose the 2A. Well I am here to tell you that it can happen. And the direction that this country is headed, it will happen. It is only a matter of time. Unless we stand up and fight for our rights. That is the only way that we will win this war.

Latest posts

Top Bottom