Compact .40 suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmatic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for my first ccw and want a compact .40 I'm currently looking at the S&W MP .40c. Anyone own that gun that can give me pro's and con's? Also, if anyone has a recommendation on another .40c I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got two Glock G23's and I think they are great .40c's. I have had no issues with them at all, and they feel good in my hand. I'm sure you've probably heard this before, but your best bet would be to go to a local range and rent a couple to see what feels good to you and what doesn't. That said, I don't think you could go wrong with the G23:burnout:

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Kahr CW40 for a while. Good size gun for concealed carry. Good fit and finish, but set up tight from the factory. Needs to be shot a bunch to break in and be a reliable carry piece (Kahr recommends at least 200 rounds). I have an arthritic wrist and found it to be a little too snappy. I traded it for a Glock 23. Because of the grip angle and relationship of the plane of the barrel to the grip, it causes me less pain to shoot. Either gun would be a good choice.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I were shopping all over again, I would look strongly at a Walther PPS.

I carry an XD 40 4" which is the same size as the Glock 19/23, though I don't really consider those a "compact size." The XD Subcompact and 26/27 are what I think of as comparable to the M&P 40c.

Plasmatic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot a compact XD40 and I like it a lot. I have compared the M&P to the Glock 27 and they are almost identical size. I haven't compared to a 23/Walther I'll do that soon. S&W has a rebate offer going right now that makes it an attractive purchase and I'd prefer to buy new. I like the profile of the Karh's but they are a little high for my price range. Thanks for the info so far.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a S&W MP40c that I daily CCW and love it. I cleaned the trigger up and put in a new apex sear and then polished up the trigger block and I love it now.

I had a Glock 27 and after issues with them and their horrible customer service I sold the gun and never looked back. The S&W had one slight issue and S&W's customer service was top notch and even threw in some mags for the hassel.

Gunrunner45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock 27.

Its smaller and easier to hide than the XD. Nothing against the XD subcomacts. I have a XD 9mm SC and love the way it shoots. Also have the XD .45 tactical.

But if your primary function is for CC then I'd go with the Glock 27 in a Crossbread Super Tuck. I have a lone wolf conversion barrel for my G27 which cuts down on ammo costs at the range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom