Company meeting in our new building... active shooter question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should have accepted the assignment to help prepare for an active shooter event.
There are lots of other things involved in proper preparation than just arming yourself.

Once an active shooting is confirmed how will the information be communicated promptly to all employees for example?
You could create a distribution list with everyone's cell number and send a text message to everyone with a prepared message.
It's possible to send it directly from outlook or the company can subscribe to an inexpensive SMS texting service.

Will employees evacuate the building or lock in to a fortified position.
If employees can egress the building it's usually best to put as much distance between yourself and the shooter as possible but not everyone works in
an area with more than one door to the work area.

Who will be responsible for locking doors and turning out lights once the incident begins?
Who will conduct periodic drills and training?

You really should have offered to help rather than laughing out loud in a company meeting.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to wonder, why are you even there? You are part of 1%, looked upon as an outcast, disruptive in meetings and refuse to work with a committee when asked to join, with little to no chance for advancement.

Granted, the question is somewhat funny, more just plain ignorant, but, joining the committee and supplying some real answers backed by facts could have gone a long way in preparing your co-workers for a SHTF scenario, instead of condemning several, if not many, of them to suffering and or death.

You should be part of the solution or looking for another employer. IMHO

Our company policy was 'NO GUNS', not even locked in your vehicle in the parking lot. We gathered some info and presented to management the facts and law. Policy was changed, not completely eliminated, but changed.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work in a gun free zone. When they put up the gun busters signs I went to the GM and discussed why I thought it was bad. They came down a couple of days later. Our company policy does not allow us to have weapons at work. My boss knows to not touch my backpack and even makes jokes about needing to go to the bag for backup if needed. He knows it's there and he supports it.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I believe I would have participated in the committee discussions/plans. If nothing else, the others might/would (and I say might because I don't know your level of training with firearms) have an opportunity to learn the value of actually having firearms. For instance, one active shooter training I saw mentioned to use whatever was available as a weapon to defend one's self. In such a case in such training, I'd say that nothing would help defend one's self better than another firearm, especially since many active shooters "quit" once they see others with firearms.

One can't educate others if they aren't involved with the educating.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your company should look into this app our company uses. It's called the "in case of crisis" app. It allows the company to quickly communicate any crisis situation to its employees quickly and easily. We are not allowed to carry on the premises, but we can keep ours locked in our vehicles. Since the company made that ruling they took the next proactive step and brought in fully trained "armed" security team. This is acceptable in my mind, however, I do wish they would just let us carry.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to wonder, why are you even there? You are part of 1%, looked upon as an outcast, disruptive in meetings and refuse to work with a committee when asked to join, with little to no chance for advancement.

Granted, the question is somewhat funny, more just plain ignorant, but, joining the committee and supplying some real answers backed by facts could have gone a long way in preparing your co-workers for a SHTF scenario, instead of condemning several, if not many, of them to suffering and or death.

You should be part of the solution or looking for another employer. IMHO

Our company policy was 'NO GUNS', not even locked in your vehicle in the parking lot. We gathered some info and presented to management the facts and law. Policy was changed, not completely eliminated, but changed.

It was most likely changed because it is the law. By Oklahoma state law a employer cannot prevent an employee from possessing a firearm in their vehicle with very few exceptions.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TRUE, they changed because what they were doing was against the law, BUT, they would not have changed policy IF we had not stood up to them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom