Computer repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I wasn't so far I would say bring them by and I would take a look at them for you but Guthrie would be quite a bit of a drive unless you have a reason to be up this way.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really suggest you not use Office Depot based on a recent experience I had.

Computer Masters used to do my stuff, but the NWE store closed and I don't know how their south store is. Not too far from you.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have a flash drive, printer, anything new plugged into it? Disk in the drive, anything like that? It's POST'ing, not booting, sounds like its trying to boot to another device, or your OS is corrupt.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could be as simple as the drive is not selected correctly in the bios. I had a couple times since using a new program that it will jump to a different drive and mess up when the program has been running and then locked up the OS.

First things is first go in to the BIOS or EFI if that is what you have (basically both do the same thing one is newer) and see if the drive is showing. See if it is selected as the boot first device. If you have a flash drive or disc in an optical drive unplug/remove them. Sometimes the computer can go into seek mode and goof up. Also a cable could be loose or just plain bunch of dust build up.

My general troubleshoot to start is disconnect everything but monitor and keyboard clean out the dust and try to boot. If it will not boot but I can get into the bios/efi screens I check the drive information. If it is not showing I will disconnect all the drives except a single USB drive that is bootable or a bootable optical disc and see if it will come up. After that it's a process of elimination and generally I use another computer to help that along.

If it's a small form factor computer the HDD could just be dead, heat kills hard drives and my mother in law had a SFF that killed two within 6 months. One that it came with and a second that I had used for a while, the second one had a identical twin that is still just fine. Ended up adding in some fans and using a laptop drive so more air can flow around it.

If the drive is shot you may hear some clicking when you power up, the side of the case will have to be off to hear it or you may need to use an automotive stethoscope. If it's clicking you COULD be able to salvage your data by replacing the board as sometimes that will be the issue but it's not cheap and you will not want to continue to use the drive afterwards. A HDD can be replaced for fairly cheap, a SSD is a faster but a bit pricier option though especially good for a laptop since it will extend battery life.

If you have important things on the drives look at getting a couple drives to backup to or spend a few bucks and build out a fileserver with built in redundancy and make sure everything is saved and/or synced there. That is why I am building out my FreeNAS.

93turbohatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great information guy...but unfornately I need someone to fix this for me. I have a copy of Windows if it is corrupt. I have idea how to install Windows or do anything in the bios or what anything In the bios need. Anyone who would like to help I would be more than happy to bring the pc to them as long as they have an extra and what not to work on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom