Mailing a handgun for repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are there anyone up to date with the regulations for mailing a handgun for repair? It used to be as long as it was for repair, no FFL was needed. My buddy tried to mail a handgun on a recall today and was told by the post office that the regulations had changed. So when did this happen and is it accurate?

Harp13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe the manufacturer that I was planning to return a handgun to was listed as an FFL. They sent me an RMA# and a shipping label. As I understood it at the time, they were going to be able to ship directly back to me (owner) as well.

I have returned a rifle to a manufacturer for warranty work and the shipping company had to look up their FFL number before they would allow me to ship it. This shipment was at my cost. They were able to ship the repaired rifle directly back to me (I had to sign for it if I remember correctly).

EDIT: This was back in August 2021 though. So as you note above, the process may have changed since then.

I do remember it was going to cost more than 2x to ship a handgun than what I paid.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only an FFL can mail a handgun via USPS. Us Peons can mail long guns, but not handguns.

If one of us wants to ship a handgun to a gunsmith or to the manufacturer, they'll have to go through UPS. Seems I read we can no longer use FEDEX for handguns.

It's cheaper to simply ship via a FFL.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
5 years ago, I shipped a pistol from Fedex facility near Will Rogers to FNUSA for a recall on my pistol. Bought packaging from them. No problems, but maybe they will not do that now. IDK...

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This currently on the S&W website.

Should your Smith & Wesson firearm require service, it should be returned to Smith & Wesson in the blue carrying case or a similarly secure container (Do not ship in a presentation case). It is not necessary to take the gun to a dealer for shipment. However, before shipping your firearm, call or e-mail our Customer Support Dept. for authorization and shipping instructions. A return label will be sent to you for shipping your firearm back to us.

Before shipping your handgun, ensure that the firearm is unloaded and packaged securely. Do NOT ship any ammunition. The package must NOT bear any markings which indicate the identity of the contents. Enclose a letter which includes your full name and address (no P.O. Boxes, please), daytime telephone number, e-mail address, the serial number of the firearm, and details of the problem experienced (stating the brand and type of ammunition used when the problem occurred) or work desired. Record the serial number before shipping, in case you wish to check on the repair status of your firearm.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last handgun i mailed in for repairs i had to use Fedex cause that was what the shipping label called for and was mailed back to me directly, Im not aware of USPS shipping hanguns rifles yes but not handguns maybe that is only for FFL to FFL i would have to do some research on that

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is not necessary to take the gun to a dealer for shipment.
No, it isn't necessary, but it's cheaper. Fedex ruled some time ago that private citizens cannot ship handguns via Fedex any more. That leaves UPS. UPS requires overnight delivery cause they lose a lot of handguns. That's expensive. The last handgun I shipped UPS cost me over $100. My dealer ships for me for $30.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, it isn't necessary, but it's cheaper. Fedex ruled some time ago that private citizens cannot ship handguns via Fedex any more. That leaves UPS. UPS requires overnight delivery cause they lose a lot of handguns. That's expensive. The last handgun I shipped UPS cost me over $100. My dealer ships for me for $30.

Canik provided me a FedEx shipping label, direct to them, and will be shipped back to my house.

Yep... S&W and FN both sent me FedEx labels for warranty work this year. FedEx makes it a PITA but they do allow shipping of handguns. Mine were both for pickup at my house. Boxed it up and slapped the label on. Driver just said "Thanks!" as he took the packages from me.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are there anyone up to date with the regulations for mailing a handgun for repair? It used to be as long as it was for repair, no FFL was needed. My buddy tried to mail a handgun on a recall today and was told by the post office that the regulations had changed. So when did this happen and is it accurate?

It hasn't been legal for non-FFL persons to mail handguns thru the mail since at least the mid 80s...that's when I got my first FFL. Non-FFLs can mail long guns.

Non-FFLs must use FedEx or UPS to ship handguns. Federal law does not prohibit this. FedEx and UPS have their own rules, though.

Just ask the manufacturer to send you a label for FedEx or UPS pickup. That's what I did and they both were just fine with it.

BTW... The ATF website will clearly answer all your questions re: shipping firearms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom