Computers and I don't do well..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not sure about 'tiles', but if you use chrome as your browser then your bookmarks are saved in the cloud (i believe). So a local computer issue wont change them

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
64 gig thumbdrive would never work with all my photos. Wife just bought me a 4 terabyte USB drive to back up to. This is gonna take a while.

depending on how 'close' you want to keep your files, i highly recommend some of the new sandisk USB3 SSD portable drives. We send weddings back and forth on them (usually about 500gb) and they are very stable and fast. Fast enough that we can actually work off the drive for toning if we have to. Then, once we are doing, things go to a couple larger drives for archiving.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Computers are wonderful things. They are no smarter than me - they just pay closer attention to what they are doing. :preocc:

Tell me more about those solid state hard drives. Are they faster? Will they work in a 5 year old HP tower? Can I download my current hard drive directly into a solid state HD and avoid reloading everything? :scratch:

Woody

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Computers are wonderful things. They are no smarter than me - they just pay closer attention to what they are doing. :preocc:

Tell me more about those solid state hard drives. Are they faster? Will they work in a 5 year old HP tower? Can I download my current hard drive directly into a solid state HD and avoid reloading everything? :scratch:

Woody
They are usually MUCH faster, you need to compare (or have someone) look at the transfer speeds. Faster costs a little more, but pretty much any SSD will be faster than a mechanical drive.

You have to know what kind of drive you have, at 5 years old it's most likely a SATA drive, and you should be able to find a comparable SATA SSD without any trouble. A lot of times they come with software to clone your old drive to the new one, but it can be tricky. It would probably be more reliable to do a clean install, but a clone is at least theoretically possible. You'd probably have to connect both drives to the computer at the same time, which isn't especially difficult but can be kind of intimidating for a casual computer user.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to know about compatibility, go to crucial.com and click on "Buy SSD." Then you can put in your computer's make and model to see what's compatible. I'm not sure if they still do, but they used to have a "kit" that included software to clone your old drive onto your new SSD, so all you had to do was run the software, then swap out the drives.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, if your computer is 5 years old I'd seriously consider getting a new one with an ssd rather than put the money into one that old.

Latest posts

Top Bottom