Concealed Class Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend of mine just went through the course a few days ago and was telling me about this. (My own class was several years ago)

He said that they had been told in class that it was illegal to have a concealed pistol on their person and to also have one in the glove box of the car.

I could not find anything online in the regulations that spoke to that. Anyone ever hear of such a thing?

Thanks

SDAinstructor

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As an instructor, I do not know of anything the corresponds to that statement. If you have a CCL you can carry as many handguns as you want as long as they are CONCEALED and under the .45 caliber rule. Wonder maybe if he might have just misunderstood or something.

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went thru the class about a year ago and am amazed everyday about things that were taught that I am now learning to be either untrue or subject to several interpretations. I was also taught that I could only be in possesion of one loaded firearm with my CCL license, which I learned several months ago is not true.

J-leblanc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
dugby said:
A friend of mine just went through the course a few days ago and was telling me about this. (My own class was several years ago)

He said that they had been told in class that it was illegal to have a concealed pistol on their person and to also have one in the glove box of the car.

I could not find anything online in the regulations that spoke to that. Anyone ever hear of such a thing?

Thanks

Where did your friend take his class?

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't believe that to be true unless there is another person without a CCW license in the vehicle and the person with the CCW is absent.

If you are driving in your car and you have any number of passengers. As long as one person in the car has a CCW permit, everyone in that car can legally carry. The permit holder has to be in or "near" the car to keep them all legal though. They can't take the guns out of the car and the permit holder can just run into the store for a coke.

TITLE 21 § 1289.7. Firearms in vehicles

FIREARMS IN VEHICLES

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section “open” means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title.

Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 26 of this act, to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed the handgun in such vehicle, shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

It really baffles me that people will carry a firearm and rely solely on the "advice" of their SDA instructor. The law is very easy to read and to understand. They give you the SDA lawbook with your application packet for a reason. Read the darn thing.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 26 of this act, to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed the handgun in such vehicle, shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle."

I hesitate to jump in on this, but the above quoted section does not give everyone in the vehicle the right to carry concealed, just because one person in the vehicle has a valid permit. The intent of this section is to protect individuals in the vehicle who are not permit holders when there is a concealed weapon in the vehicle. As the first paragraph says, anyone (other than a felon) may transport an unloaded firearm that is not concealed. Only a person with a valid permit may carry a concealed weapon in a vehicle. If that person with a valid permit decides to stow his weapon in the glove box or under the seat, the last paragraph protects the other persons in the vehicle from being accused of unlawfully concealling a weapon if the vehicle is stopped or searched for any reason. If the permit holder is in the vehicle or in close proximity to the vehicle, the assumption is that the weapon belongs to him. I doubt that passenger could convince the authorities that a weapon in his pocket belonged to the permit holder.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are driving in your car and you have any number of passengers. As long as one person in the car has a CCW permit, everyone in that car can legally carry. The permit holder has to be in or "near" the car to keep them all legal though. They can't take the guns out of the car and the permit holder can just run into the store for a coke.

As soon as I read that I thought "No way that can be true." Haha. There are 7 people in a Ford Expedition and because the driver holds a CCW everyone can be packing heat? I knew that couldn't be right.

The above description by fatcpa makes more sense. Like if the driver is a CCW holder and conceals an AR under the back bench seat in his truck he can say the rifle is his and not the person(s) sitting in the backseats.

Latest posts

Top Bottom