Concealing Extra Mags

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Never tried it, but what about around the ankle? Assuming you are wearing pants.

9 months out of the year I'm in cargo shorts, and use the big pocket. If I am somewhere I shouldn't be, I'll move it to my front pocket. I think the "key" is to retrieve it before the pee comes out. But I very rarely carry an extra mag on me. I do keep one in the car and one on the bike, for more of a stop and plink mag.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For folks that think one mag will suffice -

What if you dropped your pistol and the spot weld or base pad of your mags came undone? I think it is easier to just grab for another magazine instead of picking up rounds and manually feeding them in the chamber.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For folks that think one mag will suffice -

What if you dropped your pistol and the spot weld or base pad of your mags came undone? I think it is easier to just grab for another magazine instead of picking up rounds and manually feeding them in the chamber.

Yeah, I've always been a big advocate of the extra mag theory...if nothing else for malfunction purposes.

Trust me...an armed encounter is a perfect opportunity for Mr. Murphy to show up and make things go from bad to worse.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think this is one of those hope for the best, but plan for the worst topics. I'm pretty sure that none uf us knew any of our magazines were going to fail prior to them doing so. It is always better to have than to have not in a crisis situation. Like previously stated...Murphy is not your friend. Murphy will kick you in the nuts at the worst possible time and when he does, I prefer another mag. If it was me, I would get an owb mag holder as most of them actually ride high. I have seen a few that mount horizontally in line with the belt as well. Also as previously stated, your first action should be to get yourself out of the line of fire and then prepare to return fire.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're a gun totin' good guy, ALWAYS carry an extra mag. I have purchased IWB, OWB, made my own, etc., and I have found, for me at least, the best was a crappy Glock brand mag pouch. They are cheap and they flex and sit very tight to your body. I carry how I train, gun at 3 and mag anywhere from 9-11. No need to dig around in your cargo pocket and back pocket, it's going to get you killed.

For the 5 rounder man, you need to realize that average carry handgun bullet is a pencil punching round, and does not have the velocity/kinetic energy to do maximum damage. A bad guy on natural adrenaline drug can/will still come at you even with 5 well placed rounds center mass, imagine a dude on PCP. You must cause severe tissue/nerve damage to stop a BG and 5 rounds will hardly do it, especially since Mr. Murphy hates every good gun carrying SOB out there!

On duty I carry 58 rounds in my G34 and off duty 27 rounds of .40sw in my G23.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why not carry it in plain view. Concealed in sight.

I got a black, velcro covered single mag pouch.

Can hook it on my belt or my pants pocket.

Usually hook it over my left pocket in the 9 o'clock position. It is made out of black material and my mags are black.
It does not draw attention.

I've carried it there for about a year and not even my wife has noticed it.
Or if she has, she has never mentioned it.

It looks like either a leatherman holder or maybe a cell phone holder.

I got one of the double mag pouches at the same time, but haven't tried that one yet.

Dave

A

ArmedCivy

The Crossbreed IWB mag holster looks really good. I actually made one before they offered it on their website. I already used their IWB holster for my sidearm so I knew the system worked really well for me, but my mag pouch left a sizable bulge. So I went to Tandy leather in Tulsa, got some cow hide, ordered the clips from crossbreed, and ordered a fobus double mag carrier made of plastic. Removed the back of the fobus to slimline it, cut the leather to a design that I was happy with, dyed it black, fitted the clips and the fobus to the leather backing, and blammo, IWB double mag holster. I love it, it works great! But now that crossbreed has one, I'd just order one of theirs because it was a bit of a project. Even though I probably spent $20 less than the crossbreed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom