Concrete contractor estimate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK im going to suggest something so take it with a grain of salt.
But i would suggest makeing the sidewalk 4 ft wide to be ADA complaint if down the road you need it or if you sell the house it might help with the selling of it. Never know when someone will need a wheelchair in the future.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't tell you about Dolese in other towns without competition, but you will pay a premium if you are needing less than mixer load. (Contractors get by without that by combining a small pour with another when possible and regular business)

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're using an android device - there is a handy little free app called "Concrete Estimator".

Using 50 ft x 4ft at 5" it comes up with 3.0 yards or 16.9 bags of cement, 4816 lbs of sand, and 4965 lbs of gravel.

If you got adventurous you could go 60lb bags need about 186 @ 3.25 of those. Or real adventurous and get the 80's, only need about 139 @ 4.30 of those before bulk discounts.

I guess there is probably some dirt work to kick things off, I'd tend toward bobcat or equivalent rental for that bit of fun. In fact you might consider getting one to pull the current gravel out probably put a few hours in the bank with that.

Add a mixer, big wheel barrow and a few pounds to sweat off...or call the help.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quickrete.com has an easy estimator on the website to figure out how many yards are needed, then call the concrete delivery services to see what the actual colt of the material will be.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A&L never called me like they said they would. My wife works with a lady that knows the owner of the company that came out and gave my estimate and she said he does excellent work and stands behind it. I think I will just hire them. I want it done right the first time. Even if it did cost a little more. I appreciate all the help guys.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK im going to suggest something so take it with a grain of salt.
But i would suggest makeing the sidewalk 4 ft wide to be ADA complaint if down the road you need it or if you sell the house it might help with the selling of it. Never know when someone will need a wheelchair in the future.
The contractor said to make it 3 feet wide. Unless I wanted it wider. I went out and measured and 4 feet would look ridiculous it is so wide. Most homes that I have seen have 3 feet wide sidewalks. Whether it’s 3 feet or 4 it will raise my value. But a good recommendation nonetheless.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The contractor said to make it 3 feet wide. Unless I wanted it wider. I went out and measured and 4 feet would look ridiculous it is so wide. Most homes that I have seen have 3 feet wide sidewalks. Whether it’s 3 feet or 4 it will raise my value. But a good recommendation nonetheless.
I'd think 36" would be ADA compliant? My son is in a chair and he get in our 34" door easily.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd go for the ADA sidewalk, ever use a hand truck and have something heavy on it and one of the wheels went off the sidewalk?

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd think 36" would be ADA compliant? My son is in a chair and he get in our 34" door easily.
The contractor asked me how wide I wanted it and I said the same width as my current stone walkway. He said I would recommend making it 36”. He said that would make it the same width as the front door. Then he said if I ever had someone with a wheelchair come over if it were less than 36” it wouldn’t fit. So I said make it 36”. I would think it would be compliant at 3 feet. As I said before, 4’ is huge for a home sidewalk. I could see it if I was a business but not my home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom