Confusing load data.... and does Hornady always go low?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, trying to figure out a load for my .303, and here's what I have found. Hornady lists the max load of Varget with the Hornady 174 grain soft, flat points I bought at 39.1 grains, Lee puts their starting load for 174 grain jacketed bullets at 38 grains, and a max of I think 41-42, Hodgdon lists pretty much the same info as Lee (may be where Lee's info came from) and online I have read good reviews of that bullet, with Varget as light as 35 grains, and as high as 42.

Hornady tells me that for hunting with that bullet they would like to see impact velocities of at least 1750 or so. My plan for the gun is a deer rifle for under 200 yards, so a bit over 2300 at the muzzle gets me the velocity I need out to 200. My issue is, I would like to just load 38 grains of Varget and as long as it groups ok just roll with it. From Lee, Hodgdon and other sources I should be fine cause that's just a starting load. Hornady's data would say that that's an almost max load though. If all I had used was the Lee manual, I would have never thought anything about making a bunch of these with 38 grains of Varget and calling it a day.

Anyone else have similar experiences and can lend some advice, or have other books you can check for a reference for me?

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I show 38 gr of Varget maxxing out at 38500 PSI (2200FPS @ 20" BBL)

www.boomershooter.com_forums_uploads_imgs_pre_1366059504__303british___174hdy___38gr_vgt.jpg

43gr of Varget would hit MAXIMUM at 52800 PSI (2500FPS @ 20" BBL)

35gr of Varget would hit 30300 PSI (2000FPS @ 20" BBL)

Let me know if you need any other specific numbers.

no warranty!

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always found Hornady's reloading data to be highly conservative for just about every caliber I load for. I think you tend to get the most accurate information from the powder manufacturer's directly. Hodgon's Reloading Data Center is always a good starting point.

I run 39.0 grains of Varget for my Enfield. You just need to make sure you work up slowly to that load. This is especially important in old milsurp guns where throat erosion and headspace may or may not be in specification.

Lenonthelake

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lyman 49th edition: 174 Gr. Jacketed RN Varget Start 38.0 Max 42.0 1993 muzzle velocity at max grain 2333 I have no experience reloading just bought the book.

303 Brittish

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have always found Hornady's reloading data to be highly conservative for just about every caliber I load for. I think you tend to get the most accurate information from the powder manufacturer's directly. Hodgon's Reloading Data Center is always a good starting point.

I run 39.0 grains of Varget for my Enfield. You just need to make sure you work up slowly to that load. This is especially important in old milsurp guns where throat erosion and headspace may or may not be in specification.

39 grains of Varget pushing what bullet?

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Enfield No.4 Mk 1, so it's a 25 inch barrel. Should get to at least 2300 with 38 grains then right? and how did you come up with that chart? as in what program?

Yeah, the end of the chart would be 25".

I use QuickLoad for modeling. I like to load combinations that usually aren't published, it's really taken my reloading to the next level.

I know many will disagree, but the Lee manual is my go-to book.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Data bewteen books is differant because each company uses differant testing setups - some use a universal rec- some use a firearm to built their data , the other promblem with the data is it is sometimes wrong, when the data gos to the printer it sometimes is entered wrong ie-(300 mag for 30/06 same bullet wt, differant powder wt) it may take up to a year or more for the mistake to be fixed , thats why I check data differant books and older copies .

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My accuracy/hunting SMLE load is 38.0 of IMR4064 behind Hornady 150gn Interlock #3120. I believe 4064 and Varget are very close.

SMLE is very sensitive to loads, it likes to throw flyers - and the hotter the load the more sensitive it gets, aka throwing MORE wild flyers*. I wouldn't worry about the velocity so much and look for a accurate load.

* One theory is that the action stretches with every shot and then springs back occasionally; another that the lack of any proper action/stock creates havoc on harmonics.

Latest posts

Top Bottom