Hornady 165 Grain SST in 308, what are you pushing this bullet to?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not trickle stick rifle powder I scoop it with a Lee scooper and into a pan on the 505 beam scale it goes.
My shotgun shell powder gets the 505 beam scale treatment also.
Ball powder gets 505'ed also unless it is for .223 and I can get it to drop within .15 of a grain.

Your 2588 fps I would set that case to the side and measure everything about it.
Mark it and use it again in testing and if it was again out of the normal velocity range it would be
tossed into the recycle bin.

Annealing cases after every shot and making sure no oils on my bullets or fingers or in the neck of the case has eliminated the huge velocity jumps.

Now I have some 2 year old 30-06 rounds I shot a week ago and velocity was all over the place.
I feel maybe that bullet was sticking in the neck of the brass.
Cold weld thing.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not trickle stick rifle powder I scoop it with a Lee scooper and into a pan on the 505 beam scale it goes.
My shotgun shell powder gets the 505 beam scale treatment also.
Ball powder gets 505'ed also unless it is for .223 and I can get it to drop within .15 of a grain.

Your 2588 fps I would set that case to the side and measure everything about it.
Mark it and use it again in testing and if it was again out of the normal velocity range it would be
tossed into the recycle bin.

Annealing cases after every shot and making sure no oils on my bullets or fingers or in the neck of the case has eliminated the huge velocity jumps.

Now I have some 2 year old 30-06 rounds I shot a week ago and velocity was all over the place.
I feel maybe that bullet was sticking in the neck of the brass.
Cold weld thing.
I did. Looks good all around and shoulder expansion matches the other 4 in that string.

Annealing is something I need to get started with asap. I'm getting to that point in my 308 stock, where it's time.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I may have found a pretty decent load for this bullet. N135 was just too slow. This rifle does not like 2400 FPSish. Need 2600 and up to cycle perfect.

I had a decent load with 44.0 grains of Tac, but worked down to 43.1. 44.3 showed some pressure signs. I'm happy with this lower load of 43.1. Will have to check all this next spring as well.

Printed a 5 shot group measuring .751" and a fairly decent SD. I'll load up some and push this to 200 and 300 next weekend!
1671347789213.png

1671347831981.png

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Put a 20" barrel on the gun and ended up keeping the same load. Printed just under an inch and sub 10 SD. No problem with this wind and 200 yards on steel. Struggled a bit at 300, but when I took my time, super accurate.

Loving this Magnetospeed V3 too. Not sure why I did 6 rounds v's 5, but it is what it is.
20.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom