Contender knowledge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone have Contender knowledge?
Difference between 10 and 15” 30-30 barrel, pros cons
Anyone run suppressors on them.
One piece lock vs two

Thanks
10" in a 30/30 gets you a loud boom, and big muzzle flash as a big portion of powder burns out in the open ruducing your velocity potential.

15" better uses your powder, giving better velocity, but too dam long for hand gun, and too short to be legal for a rifle stock.

Personally, I would be looking at 357 mag in 10"

357 max in 12"

gemihur

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
30 Herrett is designed for optimum use in the 10" barrels
30 Herrett pistol med.jpg

It does however require that you are a reloader since it's not a commercially available round

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I just picked up this barrel, testing it this PM. In reading up on the barrels I saw that TC was planning to eliminate the 10” 30-30 due to poor accuracies but then they developed/released the Super 14 and accuracies improved to an acceptable level and they decided to continue chambering it for the 30-30 cartridge. View attachment 321854
125gr Ballistic tips were the best thing that ever happened to 10" Contender barrels imo.

gemihur

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the pistol platform recoil can be accommodated by the wrists and the elbows acting as McPherson struts
A relatively relaxed stance with the awareness of impending energy allows for a smooth detent of thrust
You needn't absorb the energy but allow it to roll back, up, and away as you return to the shooting position
Don't load your ammunition like your gonna blast a bank vault, just push the bullet to it's target.
Start with 357's and then a 44 mag, before you know it a light load with the Marlin will be uneventful.
A secure scope mount is a must. Here's an earlier configuration, ya' live and learn.
444 laminate forearm xsm.jpg

The furniture is of my making and the scope mount did not stay attached after an ambitious session.

Last edited:

Steve Taylor

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the pistol platform recoil can be accommodated by the wrists and the elbows acting as McPherson struts
A relatively relaxed stance with the awareness of impending energy allows for a smooth detent of thrust
You needn't absorb the energy but allow it to roll back, up, and away as you return to the shooting position
Don't load your ammunition like your gonna blast a bank vault, just push the bullet to it's target.
Start with 357's and then a 44 mag, before you know it a light load with the Marlin will be uneventful.
A secure scope mount is a must. Here's an earlier configuration, ya' live and learn.
..................................View attachment 332667
The furniture is of my making and the scope mount did not stay attached after an ambitious session.
What load do you like to use. I have a marlin 444 and like it. Have shot a BFR , wasn't too bad.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the 90s I heard a storey of one man reamimg out a old 44 mag to 444 marlin, bringing it to a club and letting people try.

One "tough guy" came up, stiff armed it with locked elbows, and touched one off.

Without even taking the empty out he set the gun down.

I met the old timer that owned that reamed out 444 sometime in the mid to late 2000s.

I bet the "tough guy" was hurting! Lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom