Converting S&W 64 DAO to SA/DA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently purchased a used S&W Model 64 DAO (bobbed hammer) from J&G Sales. I have been very pleased with the gun, but am considering changing it from DAO to SA/DA. What all would need to be changed (hammer, hammer & trigger, etc..) and where to get the parts in stainless steel to match the gun? Thanks.

[Broken External Image]

xrd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The dash number should help you get the correct hammer and trigger. Such as 64-2 found near the hinge on the frame when you open the cilynder. I believe they ground off the single action notch on the front of the hammer when they ground off the hammer spur. Like all good S&Ws these parts do need to be fitted by a smith if you want the smoothness that you have now with the trigger pull.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The dash number should help you get the correct hammer and trigger. Such as 64-2 found near the hinge on the frame when you open the cilynder. I believe they ground off the single action notch on the front of the hammer when they ground off the hammer spur. Like all good S&Ws these parts do need to be fitted by a smith if you want the smoothness that you have now with the trigger pull.

It is a 64-5. So, is it the hammer and trigger that need to be replaced or only the hammer?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure gun is unloaded.
Pull trigger til you can grab hammer.
Take finger off trigger.
Pull hammer all the way back.
If it locks back, all you need is the hammer.
If it doesn't, then you need both.

If its a factory bobbed the trigger will have the nose rounded.
If it was done later, it could be either way.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Make sure gun is unloaded.
Pull trigger til you can grab hammer.
Take finger off trigger.
Pull hammer all the way back.
If it locks back, all you need is the hammer.
If it doesn't, then you need both.

Already tried that. It does not lock back. From some of the research I have done online since posting this there is a 50/50 opinion on whether you need a hammer with the SA notch only or the hammer and trigger. Several have said they did this with only a hammer swap.

Steve, give me a holler some time, this is one thing I can work on...

Dustin, PM incoming.

Latest posts

Top Bottom