Cool Piece of History

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i have the land patent issued my great grandfather for proving up the claim in the land run 1889.
I would like to know where my paternal great grandfather's 1889 land run patent ended up. I'd be happy with a digital scan or image of it. Heard one of my cousins might have it, but won't admit it.

Also had another great great grandfather get a claim in the 1889 run. We don't have that original patent he was issued either.

You can also get copies of the book entry of the land patent from the Bureau of Land Management General Land Office records for free.
Home - BLM GLO Records

You can also order their land run documentation from the national archives. I got both of mine, cost $50 for each record. You might get 10 pages or 50, some of it gave me some insight into their lives at the time.

Request and Order Reproductions

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Back in the '80s I bought a house and small piece of land way out in rural Craig county. I ended up with a copy of the abstract for the whole property that my piece was carved out of. Went back to Indian Territory time and describe the Indian allotment it had been part of. Quite a bit of interesting history.

Last edited:

rustyaa55

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I'm in the process of trying to sell my house in Olustee. The realtor asked me if I still have the abstract book I was given at closing. I do. I got it out of the file cabinet this morning and remembered how cool some of the stuff in the folder is in terms of history.

The first recorded transfer of ownership of the piece of property where the house is took place in Jan 1900. The property was transferred from the United States of America by President William McKinley to a man named Thomas Hardin.

I've never seen anything like that though I hear it's common in Oklahoma. It's just cool (to me, anyway) that I owned a little piece of property with a recorded history like that.

View attachment 347006
The history of my little piece of heaven goes back further than that. It was given to me by my oldest friend. A part of his farm.
The property is in Virginia. The deed to his farm is hand written grant from the king of england. The farm has been handed down in his family every since. Property had never been surveyed until i had it done for my deed.
Think it's great how our different states have their own unique qtalities and history.
Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom