Cool Piece of History

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to Wikipedia, that part of the state was originally Greer County, Texas, but that was disputed by Texas and the US gov’t, and it was assigned to Oklahoma Territory. When Oklahoma was admitted to the Union, it was split into three counties.

One of our members has family property in that area, and he mentioned that his grandmother was born in their house while it was in Texas and lived in it while it was in Oklahoma.
Yeah, I did some googling and learned more about Olustee and Jackson County history than I had ever known.

This is a pretty interesting article... I don't recognize the name of the website publisher (Joe Howard) but he mentions Miss Hudson, the English teacher. Miss Hudson was our neighbor, I used to go over to her house when I was little and she would save old newspapers and I would read the comics for an hour or two. The old library is still there, in the same park. My dad owned a small service station across the street from the park and my brother and I played in it all the time. I only remember being in the library a couple of times though, as the article mentions it usually wasn't open. We used to play on the banks of Turkey Creek probably a few hundred feet west of where OK Corgi Rancher's property is... we would venture east probably right next to his house occasionally, but not as often.

Fun morning, this brings back a lot of memories.

https://batik31.com/1921-2/#

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did a bit of digging on the net and found reference to Dr Tom Hardin buying property and building a house in Olustee. Apparently he was a well respected and popular doctor at the time. He married a woman named Sallie in the mid 1890s. Another reference says they had a daughter named Bessie who died in 1900 at their home in Olustee.

I have no idea why I have the abstract. It was given to me at closing.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did a bit of digging on the net and found reference to Dr Tom Hardin buying property and building a house in Olustee. Apparently he was a well respected and popular doctor at the time. He married a woman named Sallie in the mid 1890s. Another reference says they had a daughter named Bessie who died in 1900 at their home in Olustee.

There is a house around the curve from your place on the north side of... whatever the name of that street is that runs through downtown, that was built by a doctor. But I think it was Dr. Crow. It was very uptown for Olustee in the 60's, all brick, concrete porches, etc. I thought it was a mansion. :pms2:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may be there weird one here; I’ve only purchased property once (all my other real estate interests are family properties), so I don’t really know if having your abstract held by an abstract company is the norm or not. I just know that when they described their vault, it sounded a whole lot more theft-, fire-, and tornado-resistant than my house. :thumbup3:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep all our Abstracts at home in a fire proof safe. You can store them at Abstract Company’s. They use them at free will when doing work around your property free unless you put a stop on it with out your permission. On Mother Abstracts you can charge for their use. I had 9 Mother Abstracts at one time. They will make money. Now the risk!!! You loose one, it gets destroyed it can be upwards of $5 a page to be rebuilt. A couple of mine the OkC area are well over 1000 pages.

Latest posts

Top Bottom