Corned Beef and Cabbage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bailey331

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
How funny! I have never eaten this nasty smelling stuff but since I have always told my dear wife (who cooks like a dream) I will eat anything she puts on the table, she has planned this meal for Wednesday. Its just funny we wee talking about this well before I seen this picture. Cant wait to taste it.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your house will smell like feet but it will be tasty.

Get a nice flat cut corned beef. You could brine your own but the prebrined ones are good. Put the beef in the crock pot with peeled quartered potatoes, 1/2 a head of cabbage, carrots, and 1/2 a large onion. I leave the onion and cabbage pretty large. Cover with water and pot on low for about 10 hours. Easy as pie if you don't brine your own.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your house will smell like feet but it will be tasty.

Get a nice flat cut corned beef. You could brine your own but the prebrined ones are good. Put the beef in the crock pot with peeled quartered potatoes, 1/2 a head of cabbage, carrots, and 1/2 a large onion. I leave the onion and cabbage pretty large. Cover with water and pot on low for about 10 hours. Easy as pie if you don't brine your own.

Same way we make ours, we do add some fresh crushed garlic though.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a kid dishes like this grossed me out even though my mom was a super cook. Today as an adult though cooking my own meals I guess your taste buds do change because this is one of my favorite meals today. And now my kids think its gross,same as with sausages and kraut.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When I was a kid dishes like this grossed me out even though my mom was a super cook. Today as an adult though cooking my own meals I guess your taste buds do change because this is one of my favorite meals today. And now my kids think its gross,same as with sausages and kraut.

Tastes do change but I still don't like kraut!!:puke: Smells like a fart!!

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tastes do change but I still don't like kraut!!:puke: Smells like a fart!!

My ex is half German born in Germany,she's the mother of my youngest kid and my business partner. Her Italian father and German mother and her Oma all live with her in Des Moines. I go there to see my kid and to work in our shop a couple of weeks every month. When I head back to Oklahoma she usually sends me home with sauerkraut her mom and Oma make,( and a big batch of yummy spaetzel,and some times some schnitzel). According to them the reason the sauerkraut stinks is because the cabbage is fermented- meaning its full of bacteria just like in yogurt but only more of it,and its supposed to be really good for your health. But youre right,smells like a fart and stinks up my truck even when its in the ice chest.

Latest posts

Top Bottom