Cost of a DECK? Can someone school me a bit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless your heart is set on a wood deck, I'd recommend going back with concrete. Your deck could be poured in a day and useable in a week. Just use a good grade of concrete and go at least 5" thick. After a few months of hard cure, apply a sealer to avod cracking in the future from water getting into small cracks & freezing.

Last edited:

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
here is the current layout of the deck.

It has the concrete slab under the wood.

I'd like to go concrete, but with the kids and the pool, I think it would be a nogo from the spousal unit.

i49.tinypic.com_14l0f1e.jpg

Thanks again everyone. This is educational, to say the least.

Dave

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a really nice deck!

Remind your wife that you can have the concrete lightly textured so that the kids slipping when their feet are wet isn't a problem. Some people have a decorative pea gravel applied to the surface of the concrete and then epoxy sealed in order to give it texture. Those make nice looking patios.

Question- do you have a problem with rain run-off from the roof? We started to buy a house once that had a similar patio / deck.. but noticed that rain run-off looked like it had caused some problems with the wood deck. The slope of the roof funneled all the rain right into the patio.. and the gutter wasn't enough to handle heavy rain.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is a really nice deck!

Remind your wife that you can have the concrete lightly textured so that the kids slipping when their feet are wet isn't a problem. Some people have a decorative pea gravel applied to the surface of the concrete and then epoxy sealed in order to give it texture. Those make nice looking patios.

Question- do you have a problem with rain run-off from the roof? We started to buy a house once that had a similar patio / deck.. but noticed that rain run-off looked like it had caused some problems with the wood deck. The slope of the roof funneled all the rain right into the patio.. and the gutter wasn't enough to handle heavy rain.

Haven't had any major problems with water. Next project will be rain gutters, but don't have them right now.

But, the deck is old. Over 20 years. It has held up well, but now there are alot of places that need fixing. Due to nails, breaks, etc.

dave

justanotherpatriot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guy posting @ $12 per SF is the closest of everyone for PT everything. If you wait a month or two for the wood to dry before putting on a good coat of Cuprinol deck stain from Sherwin Williams and then follow with another coat every 2-3 years, the life span will be pretty long. I put one up and coated it after install and @ yr 3 and the wood still looks great 8 yrs later with no other coats but it could probably use another.

Latest posts

Top Bottom