Cost of a DECK? Can someone school me a bit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a deck off of the back of my house.

Now, I don't think that the deck is large by any stretch, nor is it complicated. No railings, no fancy smanchy benches or covers. Basically, removing existing deck and rebuilding it on the existing concrete pad.

Just had an estimate for replacing it.

All I could say is "you have got to be kidding me."

So, can someone school me on deck (d-E-c-k) costs? Say around 700 to 800 square feet worth of space?

I'd like to know if I am really that far out of touch with reality.

Thanks

Dave

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you having to replace the base and everything... or only the deck planks?

I haven't bought wood in a long time so I can't help you on price... but I know wood prices have gone up "considerably" what with all the tornado damage around the country and the disaster in Japan. I wouldn't be suprised at $3+ a foot average for the deck in material & labor. A 4' x 8' x 1/2" thick sheet of plain plywood decking was selling for approx. $30 last time I priced some.

Are you interested in Redwood or Pressure Treated and what size planks... 2x4 or 2x6. I'd go with the pressure treated 2x6... as they will last you for years. And be sure to use epoxy coated deck screws and not nails... with proper spacing between the planks.. about 3/8". If your a handyman and have a miter saw, and your deck is as small as you say.. it should be fairly easy to do yourself. I like using carriage bolts to hold the frame to the uprights. Metal brackets & screws to hold the crossbraces in place... then the epoxy deck screws to hold the deck boards in place on the crossbrace boards.

To give you a idea of just how much the cost of things are going up... I had a natural gas fueled generator hard-wired to the house 1 1/2 yrs ago via a automatic switcher. In order to bring the house up to current code, I had to have the old aluminum wire running from the weather-head to the meter box replaced with copper wire... and then copper wire run between meter box, the auto switch box and the generator. 130 feet of wire was over $700! And the wholesaler quotes the price for copper wire that size on a daily basis just like gold & silver... so if you don't buy it that day, the price might go up over night. Hope you get your deck soon!

Last edited:

kirkmuck1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your replacing the joist, post and decking, with a pressure treated material, Your probably looking at around $ 12.00 per square foot.
Plus stairs, railings, benches, etc.
Also a 800 sq. ft. deck is quite a humdinger! That will make for some serious BBQ, and party time!

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 16x48 I built in 2001, we have enjoyed it a lot. As it has aged I realize that when it comes time for replacement I will not do another deck. I will go with concrete or stone next time.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your replacing the joist, post and decking, with a pressure treated material, Your probably looking at around $ 12.00 per square foot.
Plus stairs, railings, benches, etc.
Also a 800 sq. ft. deck is quite a humdinger! That will make for some serious BBQ, and party time!
This is a pretty accurate estimate, and use the Deck screw they are made specially to go through 2 pieces of wood. I also predrill the holes (just makes a better istall).Of course if you wanna go with the composite material it just about doubles, it will last considerbly longer.
Handrails will be a little more also, depending on what you want ...fancywise
Oh he already said rails benches and stairs.. ;) are extra.
Look at homedepot they have some "kits" you might get some ideas from
10k...ouch.
If you wanna do it yourself ,Im sure you can find some help around here.
Ive got the tools , back may not hold out the whole project, but it might be fun.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you having to replace the base and everything... or only the deck planks?

I haven't bought wood in a long time so I can't help you on price... but I know wood prices have gone up "considerably" what with all the tornado damage around the country and the disaster in Japan. I wouldn't be suprised at $3+ a foot average for the deck in material & labor. A 4' x 8' x 1/2" thick sheet of plain plywood decking was selling for approx. $30 last time I priced some.

Are you interested in Redwood or Pressure Treated and what size planks... 2x4 or 2x6. I'd go with the pressure treated 2x6... as they will last you for years. And be sure to use epoxy coated deck screws and not nails... with proper spacing between the planks.. about 3/8". If your a handyman and have a miter saw, and your deck is as small as you say.. it should be fairly easy to do yourself. I like using carriage bolts to hold the frame to the uprights. Metal brackets & screws to hold the crossbraces in place... then the epoxy deck screws to hold the deck boards in place on the crossbrace boards.

The deck is mainly 2x6s. right now it is all wood. don't have to replace the concrete pad. Figure the base as crossbraces and frame w/ 2x6 planking for the rest. No railings, no siding, 5 steps.

As best I can figure, based on the drawings and measurments, is one rectangular area that is 32 x 10 feet (320 sq ft), plus one rectangular area that is 32 x 1 foot (32 square feet) w/ an area w/ some curves that is 14 foot at the apex by 32 at the base for a maximum possible 448 sq feet. That gives me a maximum possible square footage of 800 square feet.

The cost estimate this place gave me was over $37,000 for composite material (over $46 a square foot) and over $21, 000 for cedar (over $27 a square foot).

I considered both to be a bit extreme, especially considering a small house can be purchased for close to the higher price.

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom