Cowboy action shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone done any, and if so what did you think of it ? I picked up a nice Ruger Vaquero single action in 45 Colt that looks like it would work out rather nice for this type of shooting.

Ruger%20Vaquero.png

If it works out i would be able to just step out the back door and get in some practice without bothering the neighbors instead of a 40 mile round trip to the closest range. At 1000 rounds for $55 i could afford to do a lot more practice.

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW ! Can hardly believe that not anyone in the state of Oklahoma has done anything in the Cowboy action shooting area... Well, needing a good holster/belt for the new Vaquero i spent a lot of time searching around the internet looking for a nice set up for it. WOW!! didn't realize how expensive good gun leather is... must have visited about 150 leather stores and found that anything i was interested in was between $300 and $500. I finally was going to take one i found at an Arizona shop that was going to run me just a little over $300, but got lucky and found one from a shop in California that i liked just as well for only $235 and $18 of that was shipping. Here is what it looks like:

IronGrizzly.png

How you think the Vaquero will look setting in this rig? If anyone is looking for a good deal on some custom leather you might want to take a look at where i found this one. Quality seems to be pretty darn good and his prices sure beat a lot of the places i looked at: http://irongrizzly.com

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you a member of any CAS clubs? There's an active one at Red Castle GC, and they have a nice range set up specifically for CAS. I've watched a few of their matches, and it looks like a lot of fun. It's just the initial cost, and the need to be a reloader, that has kept me from participating.

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No i am not a member of any club at this time, but might join one later on once i get situated and find something in my area. You are defiantly right about the initial cost of getting into this kind of shooting. I haven't got half the stuff i would need yet and already have a thousand bucks paid out. You really don't have to be a reloader in order to get into it though unless you want to do the type of shooting where they use live ammo. You might try the clubs like Cowboy Fast Draw Association located in Fernley, Nevada, website http://cowboyfastdraw.com , they use wax bullets propelled by large pistol primers, not live rounds so there is no regular reloading involved simply hand seat a wax slug and hand seat a primer.

Looks like a lot of fun and it looks like they have clubs all over the country and plenty of events to compete in if your interested in that all around the country.

3/2ACR Vet

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

StovePipe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stillwater Rifle and Pistol Club has a CAS the first Saturday of each month @0930. I am a member but do not participate in CAS so I couldn't tell you if the Vaquero would be appropriate or not. They specify lead bullets only for their shoots. The range should be open to the public for those matches. Directions and other information is online if your
google-fu is strong. If you are close I would recommend stopping by and visiting with those involved. They are a good group of people.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started getting into it last year. It's a blast (pardon the pun).........Vaquero's will work nicely............ I added a lighter spring kit and that worked wonders! Look for a good lever action and good shotgun and you're good to go! I use a Uberti model 66 in 45 colt and love it............ I'm really enjoying it so far.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I've seen on TV on the weekly shooting shows, it looks like a lot of fun, but I just can't get into the dress up stuff. I'm going up to Okc gun club one of these days just to watch a match and check it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom