Cowboy action shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3/2ACR Vet

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I've seen on TV on the weekly shooting shows, it looks like a lot of fun, but I just can't get into the dress up stuff. I'm going up to Okc gun club one of these days just to watch a match and check it out.
There's a shoot this Sunday at OKCGC 10 am, if you're interested in coming up to check it out. I'll be going to watch myself (still putting together my kit)

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am a very active Cowboy Action shooter with the Oklahoma City Gun club. our group is the Oklahoma Territorial Marshals. we shoot the 2nd saturday and 4th sunday of the month and hold two SASS sanctioned matches: Land Run is held in early April (7-9th this year) and is a regional Match and Red Dirt Rampage is the Soutwest Regional Championship held on October27th through the 29th. you can find more information on the Oklahoma City Gun Club and the Oklahoma Territorial Marshals at Territorial Marshals | Oklahoma City Gun Club | Land Run | Cowboy Action Shooting

The Oklahoma state Championship is called "Ruckus in the Nations" and is held at ITSASS in Sand Springs on the very beautiful Zinc Ranch. you can find more information on ITSASS at Indian Territory SASS

There are a number of other great places to shoot in Oklahoma, but these are the two big groups. There are a number of ranges in oklahoma that shoot regular SASS matches. you can shoot every weekend PLUS if you really want to. you can find more information on all the sanctioned clubs in Oklahoma here: SASS Clubs in Oklahoma

As far as hardware: the Ruger New Model Vaquero is the workhorse of CAS. It's very well known and has an excellent reputation for being reliable and built like a tank. there are a lot of aftermarket parts for it ranging from a half-cock hammer, short stroke hammers, aftermarket grip frames and grips, brass sights, free-spin pawl mods and on and on. it's a very nice pistol. Keep in mind you'll need two pistols to compete as stages are written for 10 pistol rounds, 10 rifle rounds and usually 4+ shotgun targets per stage.

Good leather is worth it's weight in gold. Good leather makers are everywhere so selection is almost limitless. Generally, good leather with TWO holsters starts at about $300. Holsters can be made cheaper, but hey usually don't hold up well. I've gone through a number of sets finding what I like and finally ended up with a custom rig that ran $800 including the shotgun belt. I went through three other rigs to get to what I'm using.

Also, keep in mind you need a lever action rifle of pistol caliber and a either a sXs shotgun with extractors (ejectors are not allowed) or a Winchester 1897 shotgun.

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I received my new rig this morning and am very happy with it. Very good workmanship, quick service, and very good price. It fits the Ruger Vaquero very nice and they look great together. Here is what it looks like.
If i decide to get into Cowboy Action Shooting i will have him make up a left side holster and hang it on for a 2 gun rig.

Grizzly.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom