Coyote

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t had a known calf death by a coyote, ever. I’ve lost a couple here and there but with no evidence to suggest it was coyotes. They do, however, spend a lot of time going after mice, rats, and other vermin, so I go out of my way to not shoot them. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.
I've seen coyotes one time on a cow dropping a calf. It was hunkered down right behind her in a field.
Was it after the afterbirth or the calf? I didn't care. .243WSSM 55 grain Nosler generated a big red mist.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We went from 100s of turkey to none in the last 4 years out where I hunt. They probably aren't the only problem but I figure it wont hurt to get rid of a few. They are way overpopulated in places out west.
Several things cut down the number of Quail and turkey. Fireants, hogs and roadrunners are hard on the nesting. The coyotes and dogs will go after the birds also.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several things cut down the number of Quail and turkey. Fireants, hogs and roadrunners are hard on the nesting. The coyotes and dogs will go after the birds also.
I would argue coons are the biggest threat. Here is some proof and be sure to notice the poult flying:
Turkey.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would argue coons are the biggest threat. Here is some proof and be sure to notice the poult flying:
View attachment 387963
The latest turkey study by the ODW pointed out that the major issue is with predation. They took dna samples of the carcasses to determine what predator is mostly at fault.
I'm waiting on the results.
I supect it's raccoons and possums raiding the nests. They are exploding in population because nobody traps them anymore as there is no market.
I'd like to see the ODW offer a bounty for each tail if they are the main predator.

Kangaroo1

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Fire are ants are a very minimal threat to quail and turkey, if any in Oklahoma. They prefer different habitats. The quail are declining because of predation. A deer is about the only thing that will pass up a quail or turkey nest. Plus, less cattle pastures in the central and eastern part of the state, over growth of vegetation and grasslands turning into forests have taken their toll. The lack of predator control is probably the number one contributor.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget house cats! They will absolutely distroy the Quail population, in short order, I'm not sure about Wild Turkeys?

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In case any of you need a reason to hate coyotes, here is one. Pulled it off my camera today and blew it up so you could see it as best as possible without being too blurry. :madbox:

IMG_0772.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom