Crackdown on welfare spending at strip clubs and liquor stores

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always said it's supposed to be a safety net, not a hammock.

Right. There should be graduated levels of assistance so that people are able to get raises and earn more money without having all of their benefits taken away. As it is now, if an employee is getting X number of dollars and qualifies for sooner care for her kids, she might not really want a raise because if she gets it, the sooner care will be taken away and the raise is not enough to cover the cost of health insurance.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right. There should be graduated levels of assistance so that people are able to get raises and earn more money without having all of their benefits taken away. As it is now, if an employee is getting X number of dollars and qualifies for sooner care for her kids, she might not really want a raise because if she gets it, the sooner care will be taken away and the raise is not enough to cover the cost of health insurance.

Don't get me stated on the SoonerCare abuse....

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In that link:

I'm not sure, but I think those purchases are forbidden with the card, aren't they? I don't know if the register pops up a warning, or it gets declined or anything. If it's up to the clerk to "police" the purchases, then it's pretty easy to just input a price manually, so there is an easy way around it, but that oughtta be a crime, IMNSHO.

I agree, the whole system is borked and needs overhauled.

I've advocated for many years that anyone on unemployment and/or welfare ought to be required to submit copies of applications filled out and turned in (and signatures by the business owners with ph numbers for verification), as well as be required to give a set amount of time per week to the city/state/fed or whatever in return for their benefits. Mowing, washing police cars, cleaning .gov buildings, I'm sure there are MANY MANY MANY backlogged projects that could use a little manual labor or just someone to help sort old paperwork, etc. Some are office jobs, some are outdoor jobs, etc. I'm not even talking 40 hours a week... I"m thinking something like 12-18 hours per week. That alone would make a bunch of people get out and get jobs.

It's not slavery. It's a job. If you want welfare benefits, then you work for them. It's a voluntary program, no one is making you sign up for it. You say you can't find work, well... we can find you some work in exchange for your benefits. :D

And yes.... drug test 'em. I got no sympathy for someone on .gov benefits who tests positive for an illegal substance.

NAIL. You have hit it on the head.

plissken

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom