Cracked barrel on 1911, anyone ever seen the likes before??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you thought about taking it to a gunsmith or Springfield dealer? I wonder if they would be able to get Springfield to replace the barrel. My thoughts are that somebody on your side might help your case. Irv at Bar-Sto use to and may still be a Springfield dealer. I'd send your gun to him and have a Bar-sto installed and see what he thinks about the factory one.

I'm partial to Bar-Sto barrels because that what my old friend/gunsmith used. He had a customer's Colt Gold Cup slide that cracked when reloaded nickle case failed. The barrel which was a Bar-sto that he had installed for the customer was undamaged.

Its good you were honest. Sadly, no mfg that I know of will cover damage caused by or related shooting reloads. I agree that its completely possible that the barrel cracking was not caused by your reloads. You just need some willing to look at it and discuss it with Springfield.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you thought about taking it to a gunsmith or Springfield dealer? I wonder if they would be able to get Springfield to replace the barrel. My thoughts are that somebody on your side might help your case. Irv at Bar-Sto use to and may still be a Springfield dealer. I'd send your gun to him and have a Bar-sto installed and see what he thinks about the factory one.

I'm partial to Bar-Sto barrels because that what my old friend/gunsmith used. He had a customer's Colt Gold Cup slide that cracked when reloaded nickle case failed. The barrel which was a Bar-sto that he had installed for the customer was undamaged.

Its good you were honest. Sadly, no mfg that I know of will cover damage caused by or related shooting reloads. I agree that its completely possible that the barrel cracking was not caused by your reloads. You just need some willing to look at it and discuss it with Springfield.

While I do understand the reasoning behind the policy, I think Springfield should at least inspect the barrel before dismissing it out of hand. "You used a reload? Too bad, you're on your own!" That's not good customer service in my opinion. Using reloads does not in and of itself cause any problems. Only bad reloads cause problems and they know that.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I do understand the reasoning behind the policy, I think Springfield should at least inspect the barrel before dismissing it out of hand. "You used a reload? Too bad, you're on your own!" That's not good customer service in my opinion. Using reloads does not in and of itself cause any problems. Only bad reloads cause problems and they know that.

I couldn't have said it any better.

Hoss

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that I personally have not had a good experience with Springfield customer service and I will not buy another Springfield 1911 because of it.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was really surprised by their response, I sent this gun in once before because it had what appeared to be what I call chatter marks along the rifling. I don't the the machinist term for it, but it looked like you'd run a router across a piece of wood too fast. I told them then I was using cast lead bullet reloads for Wild Bunch and they said no problem. I sent it in and they replaced the barrel with a stainless barrel and new bushing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom