Crappie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as Thunderbird goes...Anyone know the deal with the Post Oak area? Is it closed/off-limits or just closed to vehicle access? We went in there a couple weeks ago and the vehicle gate was locked.

Post Oak? Are you speaking of North Sentinel, just west of Twin Bridges, or the Dam location on the south side of the lake, west of the Dam? Both of those are closed in the "off-season" due to low admission rates. It sucks because both of those offer access to some of the better fishing locations. Bank fishing is entirely doable at Thunderbird. Like Dennis said, don't just sit in one spot. Take a limited amount of tackle and fish while hiking the bank. Have each child rig a different color/style jig and cast with a bobber set at between 12-18 inches, reel in the line 6 inches, let it sit, retrieve another 6 inches. This should get the crappie to bite pretty quickly, if they're in the area. Also, the docks are not for fishing, and the Rangers will remind you of such (I think it's ridiculous personally). There is a pretty nice fishing only dock off Turkey point on the south side of the lake that y'all might do some good at. It gets packed though, so either go early, or prepare to wear shoes you don't care about and hike around that cove with the above mentioned method. Good luck.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Post Oak is over on the East side of the lake off Peebly road sort of behind the AST community center and North of the Little Axe area. It has a fishing pier but the vehicle gate is locked.

Thanks for the rig tips!

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Post Oak is over on the East side of the lake off Peebly road sort of behind the AST community center and North of the Little Axe area. It has a fishing pier but the vehicle gate is locked.

Thanks for the rig tips!

Gotcha. As you can tell, I don't frequent the east-side as much lol. I'd imagine it's the same reasoning behind it being closed. Hope you get into them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went out this morning. Same spot as wed. Couldn't buy a bite. Started fishing the docks, and picked up 3 small crappie. Moved to the golf course cove and landed a 3lb 1 oz saugeye. Tough day. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398466839.630500.jpg

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing from the shore/docks at Wes Watkins today. Water level is pretty low and wind was tough! Guess I'm gonna have to stick with trout fishing lol!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep after em. Once you find a spot, they will likely be there year after year. Low water levels make it tough though. Assuming you bank fishing. If you are, might try the area at the end of the dam where the rocky area transitions into gravel. I've never been on Wes Watkins, but that's where I'd try next.

Latest posts

Top Bottom