Cross dominant shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since I wear prescription glasses and need them to see, I put cling wrap over my left lense, wrap around a couple of times. Has the similar effect of the scotch tape, but no sticky on my glasses. Easy on, easy off.

I right handed in some things, left in others, so I seem to fight which eye wants to dominate. I'm trying to train the brain.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I have you all beat in cross dominance craziness. LOL!! I am left eye dominant but do most things right handed. I shoot a rifle left handed but a pistol and a bow right handed. The only thing I had a problem with is the pistol when shooting right handed being left eye dominant. I'm gonna try the tricks you suggested.

Tom K

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I have you all beat in cross dominance craziness. LOL!! I am left eye dominant but do most things right handed. I shoot a rifle left handed but a pistol and a bow right handed. The only thing I had a problem with is the pistol when shooting right handed being left eye dominant. I'm gonna try the tricks you suggested.

I'm the same, and so are both of my brothers. We all three shoot long guns left handed, but shoot handguns right handed, but using our left eye. I've been shooting for so long that I don't remember learning how, so I don't know if this is what I was taught or if it just came about naturally for me.

I do remember as a kid realizing that other people put a rifle up their right shoulder to shoot, so I tried it. I couldn't understand how they could do it, because I was still trying to use my left eye, and crank my head over far enought to get that eye behind the sights! Years later I finally figured out that I was left-eyed.

I've never had any problem shooting a handgun right handed and using my left eye. It's probably not the best form as my wrist is cocked slightly to line the gun up with my left eye, but it doesn't bother me.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do remember as a kid realizing that other people put a rifle up their right shoulder to shoot, so I tried it. I couldn't understand how they could do it, because I was still trying to use my left eye, and crank my head over far enought to get that eye behind the sights! Years later I finally figured out that I was left-eyed.

Same exact thing happened to me. My first experience with a standard open-sighted .22lr. I kept trying to shoulder it on my right shoulder, but I would close my right eye and try to use my left to aim, since it was more natural being the dominant eye. I never could hit squat until my dad told me to close my left eye and use my right eye to look down the sights. Haha.

Latest posts

Top Bottom