Crossbows Now Legal for Deer Hunting for All Ages

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im not trying to begrudge or resist xbows... hell i may barrow one to whack a doe for the fun of it!
But we went over this before here and it really bugs me... Why do people has this misunderstanding that xbows are far more advanced and better than a compound? There is nothng about an Xbow that is superior, not faster, not more accurate[/B], less penitration and wont shoot any further. As for hunting I shoot sitting down with my compound almost allways and drawing a bow isnt any worse than having to swing a big xbow around to aim and not to mention trying to shoot any longer distance without a rest. The only thing that is better is that they are easier to be proficiant with and that is the problem i have with them. I shoot my bow almost everyday if possible even in the off season and a 2-3 inch group at 40-50 yards is not a problem but like i said i practice my but off with it. Now anyone can go to Bass Pro buy a xbow climb up a stand put the cross hairs on a deer at 40 and kill it.... isnt bow hunting supposed to be about the challange of the mastering the bow and the gratification of hard work and practice paying itself off, I feel that xbows kind of take that away from it.
Now as for getting more people in the woods, I think u may see a few more early in the year but it takes a different type of person to to what we do and to put that type of dedication into it. I think those fair weather hunters will show up the first few weekends and realize that even with an xbow its not easy and they will soon be on the couch where they belong.

Your post seems like one big contradiction. On one hand, you're telling me xbows aren't more accurate and have no advantage. Then on the other hand, you're saying anyone can climb up in a tree put the crosshairs on a deer with an xbow and it's game over. If there's no real advantage why couldn't they do that with a compound??

Also, not everyone fits your definition of hunting. At the end of the day, most people want to actually harvest game. If an xbow gives someone a better advantage to do so then I say go for it. If you want more of a challenge when hunting... use a spear. ;) Hunting is hard enough, so I take advantage of every opportunity I can to put the odds in my favor.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your post seems like one big contradiction. On one hand, you're telling me xbows aren't more accurate and have no advantage. Then on the other hand, you're saying anyone can climb up in a tree put the crosshairs on a deer with an xbow and it's game over. If there's no real advantage why couldn't they do that with a compound??

Also, not everyone fits your definition of hunting. At the end of the day, most people want to actually harvest game. If an xbow gives someone a better advantage to do so then I say go for it. If you want more of a challenge when hunting... use a spear. ;) Hunting is hard enough, so I take advantage of every opportunity I can to put the odds in my favor.

I just want to get this straight.... I am not against Xbows and i actually think they are kind of cool, i just like shooting my bow to much yo switch.
Now thats out of the way... Its not a contradiction, what i was saying is that the Xbow itself inst a better weapon its just easier to use.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just want to get this straight.... I am not against Xbows and i actually think they are kind of cool, i just like shooting my bow to much yo switch.
Now thats out of the way... Its not a contradiction, what i was saying is that the Xbow itself inst a better weapon its just easier to use.

Cool.. Gotcha!! Sorry If I misread what you wrote. Happy hunting. :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's why I've kinda changed my tune on lower buck limits and antler restrictions over the last few years. At first I thought they would benefit the average hunter, but the side dish they are selling with them is going to benefit "deer vendors" more than anyone. From the stuff I've seen the committee propose and the ODWC kick around at meetings, I don't see one or the other happening. Looks like somebody wants both.

Low buck limits and antler restrictions with short gun season would help us overall, combine them with a super long gun season it's money making time for outfitters/lease owners.

Besides this is like the 3rd thread on crossbows since it passed.

There is merit to what you say. The bigger the buck population with big racks would bring in leases.
But that is already the case with in-state hunters.
I have a place on the Salt fork river that should be a trophy maker, but the landowners on each side put in huge food plots, and lease to in-state hunters. they shoot anything that has antlers. Haven't seen anything but forkhorns in years in that area.
I wish I could get a rebate for trespass fines. Its amazing how many of those that lease, leave their lease and tresspass on me. I caught a guy and his son last year. Dad was a County LEO. He got no slack...ticket.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I lived in Alabama 4 years ago when crossbows were let into the general bow season. All the compound guys were up in arms here using the same arguements some of you guys have posted here. Too easy, too many hunters in the woods, to many deer being killed, this is OUR season etc...... Guess what???? NONE of that ever materialized!!!! Most people didnt run out and buy crossbows and most of the ones who did figured out it wasnt neccesarily for them. I rarely run across a hard core crossbow hunter here. There are still a abundance of deer and the crossbow is NOT a high kill percentage hunting weapon. So all you so called bow hunters relax!!!! There might be a few crossbow boys in the woods this year but I promise after the new wears off you wont even notice us. Now go clip your releases on your strings, look at your super duper fiber optic sights, tightner up your stabilizers and string silencers and harmonic noise dampners, put a aluminum arrow with the newest high tect broadhead on that monstrosity you call a arrow rest, and go fling some arrows and have some fun. There is plenty of deer for all of us.:rollingla

I'm thinking this is the best post of this thread. This guy has been there and done it. Y'all read and heed, and put some thought into his experience.
Kinda gets it back to the OP.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wow have not been on here in awhile and figure you guys were talking this one up. so i read threw everyone's opinions and don't hang me for asking...BUT....

does this law give the O.K. for a line lock, line trigger, draw lock, etc.... for my compound bow??

if this has been discussed post the link and i will read away.....

later.........

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
does this law give the O.K. for a line lock, line trigger, draw lock, etc.... for my compound bow??

Yes, the draw lock is now legal.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/regs/generalregs.htm#Crossbow_/_Mechanical_Bow_Draw_Device_Usage_

Crossbow / Mechanical Bow Draw Device Usage

The use of crossbows and conventional longbows with a device that permits the bow to be held mechanically at full or partial draw are legal hunting methods during any open season when conventional longbows (archery equipment) are a legal means of take. See individual species’ regulations for any draw weight, bolt length and broadhead size requirements.

Osage48

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a run in with a horse about ten years and have been using a xbow ever since. During this time I have not killed a buck with it. Not because I didn't have a chance or because I missed, it was because I chose not to shoot. I hear "hunters" say they are hunting big bucks but they keep bringing yearling bucks home. When I ask why they say "if I didn't take him someone else would". It is pretty simple to me, if you want a big buck, don't take a yearling. My buddies and I agreed several years ago to not take a buck we would not mount and to only shoot a buck that is a new personal best. Now we see bucks ever year that go over 130 B&C. I would have not thought this possible on a small piece of property in Oklahoma.

Our wildlife dept has done a great of managing the deer herd. There are more deer in OK than ever before.

It doesn't matter what means you hunt with. The most important thing is to enjoy the hunt whether you kill or not. If you adopt this attitude, you win either way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom