Crossbows Now Legal for Deer Hunting for All Ages

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hear a lot about how mature bucks killed during the rut don't taste as good, but so far they've tasted fine to me (only killed one mature one so far, but...)

Proper field dressing of the deer in the field, getting the meat cooled off as soon as possible, and a good processor are the key for good venison.
My processor does one deer at a time....some do not.
They process a dozen deer, grind the meat that you properly processed in the field, and cooled down, and mixed it with some newbs 64lb fawn that was dragged around for two days in the back of a pickup bragging to their friends/family about how great of a meat hunter they are.

BTW the taste of a deer, buck or doe, comes from the area they are taken from. If they subsist on browse, and acorns, they may taste a little different than one taken from a wheat/corn field. Note I said different. I've had both, and love them both. One just tastes different.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This year I plan on using my canoe to get into some better areas out at Thunderbird.

There ya go. I love to canoe, and its amazing how close one can get to animals quietly paddling along. My buddy is from Ga. He said it was a family tradition to squirrel hunt from their canoe in the creeks.

Reaction score
Hey Davs, the link to the Thunderbird SP area is broken from the www.wildlifedepartment.com 's site - do you know where I can get more info about it, or who to call (which game warden?), or have maps, etc.? It's not a WMA, so info is scarce. I found a site for the state park generally, showing boundaries of the park, but can you hunt ALL of those areas with bow, or just certain ones? Thanks very much if you know....

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
all of the marked off area is archery only and only for deer. There are tons of turkeys, but they are off limits. Im not sure what the phone number is, but visit the main offices..i believe on alameda past the bridge. They will give you a parking pass and a map and tell you to have fun. Thats all there is to it. I have a copy of the map that I scanned. Ill send it to you if I can find it.

220swift

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
try to use a traditional bow out here in open country it is next to impossible i am glad to see xbow season here finaly but we all need to stick together and keep our huntin rights if we can all band together

Latest posts

Top Bottom