Crossbow sticker shock.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something that fits you well and feels good to the shooter who is shooting and handling it.

I highly recommend, if possible, going and actually shooting the bows you are interested in. Any archery shop will allow you to test shoot crossbows before you purchase.

IMO speed is overrated so DO NOT get caught up in the speed game but a lot of the upper end bows are very fast.

I started off with a $150 crossbow but currently shoot a $2500 bow (12 years later) as I slowly progressed. There’s a world of difference between a $300 and an $1000 bow. They are typically more compact and shoot smoother, and overall have a lot nicer features.

There is a difference between a $1000 bow and $2500 bow but not as much as the 300-1000 jump and most the stuff is bells and whistles and often more speed, none of which are “needed”.

All that being said any modern crossbow will absolutely get the job done. However, if I had educated myself better I would have started off will a little better bow than the super cheap Asian made bow I started with.

My second bow was a Tenpoint product and I never went back to anything else again after purchasing one of their products. I’m a crossbow junkie of sorts and have owned 8 crossbows in the past 12 years or so. All Tenpoint and Wicked Ridge products save my first one. I’ve shot countless other crossbow brands in the store but none ever impressed me enough to pull me away from the made in the USA sticker AND the customer service I have received from Tenpoint. But most importantly they always felt and shot better than any of their competitors bows in the same price class.

But like I said don’t just take my word for it. Go actually shoot some if possible before purchasing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone has their preferences about the style of Xbow they think is great.
In reality ever crossbow is incredibly accurate out of the box. 300 to 500 fps.
My first was a compound bow that was a loaner from a friend. 45 lb pull weight. It was used to make my first bow kill on a doe. 25 yards with a complete pass through.
I've never had any bow not make a complete pass through from 45 lbs to 70lbs before transitioning to the crossbow because of a medical issue.
I get pretty disgusted watching the TV bow hunters championing the luminox inserts with half the arrow sticking out of the animals entry side. They always have to check out and come back the next day for recovery.
WTF? Wound a deer to advertise a product?
Back to crossbows. Pick out what one can afford and some will disagree but I prefer the recurve models.
I've had a string break in the field on a controlled hunt that was easily replaced and back into the hunt in an hour after resighting.
Compound bows require a trip to the bow shop for string replacement.
The recurve style are just as easily carried through thick woods as the compound models. I've demonstrated it to a fellow OSA member.

Catswithguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know this is not the place for this, but I have a very nice one that is at least ten years old, along with a case, couple of dozen bolts. Cannot hunt anymore, so it’s just sitting. It was a little over 2K back then. if anyone is interested, I’ll post the particulars in the classified.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm on the cheap side. I paid $199 for my crossbow 2 years ago, and so far, between my wife, daughters and myself, it has taken a total of 21 deer.

Velocity is 382 fps. and 5- shot groups under an inch @ 40 yards are the norm.

I have shot a couple of the 500+ fps. crossbows, and while some of them are very nice, they won't kill a deer and deader than what my very inexpensive crossbow will!!!

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll look at some of the CenterPoint stuff. Currently eyeballing the Wicked Ridge Invader X4.
I've had the Invader X4 for 4 years and really like it. I've taken numerous pigs and a nice buck with it. I l like the built in cocking reel. No string hanging around neck crap or in pocket to lose. I found someone's dropped/lost cocking string/pulley just last week. Now I have a backup if mine breaks. Can't lose cock string on Ten Point / Wicked Ridge. Invader also lighter than many other Xbows, Good safety features too. Really accurate to 50yds. I initially purchased because I couldn't practice my 62# recurve any more without pain. Last year I found and dropped down to 50# recurve without neck pain (age). Still used Invader this year a couple of times scouting and predator calling but prefer Recurve if I can get set up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom