Current price to build a home?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You’re figuring the cost of the land into the ball park quote? What is it if you already own the land, for say a 2000 sf home built to standards a bit better than a cookie cutter home in a new subdivision?
in our deer creek community, we are paying I believe 54k for our home sites. Very rough neighborhood of $160sf, i work for DRH homes, so we are production and costs are still steep, but if you take an ideal community, then extrapolate the lot out, I think that is roughly what you will find. So much more detail needed but it is a decent wag.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes sir if you do it yourself it is cheap.
331 sg ft add on I put on my house I did all myself. No plumbing in it though.
Concrete, electrical, roof, framing, sheet rock, paint, texture, flooring, windows and siding.

I shopped around of course and this was in 2007 but it cost me $16.62 a sq ft to do it all by myself.

kryptoniteguy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we sold our home in July of 2022, I asked the realtor what going price per SQFT was... he said around $200 for cookie cutter homes in sub-divisions. We own our land and opted to live on it until prices come down. Hopefully they do and that doesn't bite us in the @$$.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
How many builders would build me a 1000sqft house @ the $200/sqft quality?
There was a time when we built 1100 sq ft homes for $22 a sq ft on the owners land. Nothing fancy, no brick, but nice little homes that I would be happy to live in today.

The first time that I heard of homes going for $100 per sq ft I thought it was crazy.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ha! We are trying to get our house remodeled and just middle of the road cabinets for kitchen, dining, laundry & small bath, quote was $37000. Doesn't include counter tops or any pulls.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a friend sell out for what he throght a really good price, and had plans to sub contract the new house himself, closer to town, on better roads. By the time he was ready to start the new house, building materal had gone up so much he had to cut back on the size of the new house! This is a dangerous time for amateurs!

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a time when we built 1100 sq ft homes for $22 a sq ft on the owners land. Nothing fancy, no brick, but nice little homes that I would be happy to live in today.

The first time that I heard of homes going for $100 per sq ft I thought it was crazy.

This thread proves that people have gotten suckered into the 'bigger is better' mentality, unfortunately.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

in 1998 I built this house I am in for $49sq ft.

Latest posts

Top Bottom