Custom Rifle builder on par with big boys in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just wanted to put this on everyone's radar, not affiliated in any way. If any of you are familiar with any of the upper echelon of custom rifle builders like GA Presicion, Short Action Customs (SAC), Surgeon, etc there is a new guy who recently opened shop right here in Oklahoma. The name of the company is Stewart Rifles owned and operated by Matt Stewart. He learned everything he knows while working for Surgeon Rifles. He "helped make Surgeon rifles what it is" according to the owner of Surgeon rifles himself.

His shop is located in Smithville, OK which is a little north of Broken Bow lake. A rifle he built did this:
i1349.photobucket.com_albums_p754_HumbleEinstein_Mobile_20Uplo50af16795fb0a8952b6054c0d83e75d7.jpg

i1349.photobucket.com_albums_p754_HumbleEinstein_65CM118144252228Group2_zpsa98f5bfd.png

i1349.photobucket.com_albums_p754_HumbleEinstein_65CM118144252228Group1_zpsd01ab4d3.png

i1349.photobucket.com_albums_p754_HumbleEinstein_Mobile_20Uplo7d7c6ae300aa8a1454d29adbf96d833b.png

i1349.photobucket.com_albums_p754_HumbleEinstein_Mobile_20Uplod90a319440caf1a4ed318323b69e0e49.png

Link to Stewart's website is here.

ETA: With the wait time for most of those companies listed above measured in months Matt built this rifle in 2 weeks.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He isn't the only one. Here in Ponca City we have Denton Precision Rifles. Robert Denton trained under Gorty Getters who builds 1000 yd. record holding benchrest rifles. He also has a general gunsmith in his shop for any type of gun repairs. I'm not affiliated with this shop. I've had barrels threaded there.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is good information. I would have loved to have known about more local builders when I lived in Tulsa. Though none of them seem to be in the North East part of the state. Oh well, also most of the people have wait times measured in months, and the number is usually over 6.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, you really should've mentioned Jon Beanland (in Gould, OK).........he's one of the best builders for tactical/long range rifles.

I have a pair that Jon built which can run just as well as my GA Precision and KMW rifles.

Jon does excellent work.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He isn't the only one. Here in Ponca City we have Denton Precision Rifles. Robert Denton trained under Gorty Getters who builds 1000 yd. record holding benchrest rifles. He also has a general gunsmith in his shop for any type of gun repairs. I'm not affiliated with this shop. I've had barrels threaded there.

Steve Baldwin Mechanical Accuracy jones Oklahoma

Yeah, you really should've mentioned Jon Beanland (in Gould, OK).........he's one of the best builders for tactical/long range rifles.

I have a pair that Jon built which can run just as well as my GA Precision and KMW rifles.

Jon does excellent work.

These are really good smaller scale smiths in Oklahoma. D&t in vinita (member here) does what looks to be quality work as well. Bobby hunter in Edmond builds some super nice rifles as well. The wait from a lot of these builders comes in waiting on components (barrels and stocks) more so than the actual machining. (I'm waiting on a McMillan to finish a build right now. Ordered in sept. Should have it in late march.) high quality reputable smiths with a following are going to be busy.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Latest posts

Top Bottom