custom stock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many consider "custom" to be drop in/on but to me custom is hand fit and finished when it comes to stocks. True 'custom' comes from a blank and the stockmaker doesn't run it on a duplicator, if he does it's with his patterns which are designed to give him lots of choices as to the finished shape, no two are identical. Some are hand fitted from a pre-inlet. Very few that 'turn' a pre-inletted stock give a stockmaker alot of options as to what can be done to refine it or make it a 'one of a kind'. Some make pre-inletted stocks that a real stockmaker just doesn't want to mess with. With most pre-inlets the 'mistakes are already built in'.

I would agree. the Encore is the only reason I mentioned it.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would agree. the Encore is the only reason I mentioned it.

Agreed. I can't see making a stock for an Encore or any other factory std. firearm. If you want the quailty and speciality of custom why do just the stock, the factory 'custom shops' could help with a job like that. With what's involved with custom stocking I can't see doing anything less than a custom rifle (custom metal work) or a 'classic' SxS or O/U shotgun. Of course, if it's a modern SxS or O/U there's the factory custom shop again. I've made several rifles and a couple of shotgun stocks over the last 17 yrs. or so (since I've been out of G.S. school). I'm lucky though, I've another stockmaker who will 'turn' my wood. His patterns leave me pleanty of options without those 'built in' mistakes like you get from the commercial pre-inletters.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Agreed. I can't see making a stock for an Encore or any other factory std. firearm. If you want the quailty and speciality of custom why do just the stock, the factory 'custom shops' could help with a job like that. With what's involved with custom stocking I can't see doing anything less than a custom rifle (custom metal work) or a 'classic' SxS or O/U shotgun. Of course, if it's a modern SxS or O/U there's the factory custom shop again. I've made several rifles and a couple of shotgun stocks over the last 17 yrs. or so (since I've been out of G.S. school). I'm lucky though, I've another stockmaker who will 'turn' my wood. His patterns leave me pleanty of options without those 'built in' mistakes like you get from the commercial pre-inletters.

Well when I win the lottery, I'll have a full mannlicher stock done for my 700DXLH.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well when I win the lottery, I'll have a full mannlicher stock done for my 700DXLH.

Ya, thats the "deal" with custom wood these days, the price! There are only a few out in the world who know how and can do a expert job, a dying art, so to speak. Time and patients, have a plan, have the proper tools (you can't buy 'um at ACE). Clayton Nelson will be at the Wanamaker Show next month. I plan on being there to meet him in person as he will be teaching a stock making class at Trinadad this late spring and I am thinking about, possibly, attending. It would help me 'brush-up' my skills and I'd bet he knows a trick or two (or three or four or five!) that haven't crossed my pea sized brain. After speaking with him over the phone and seeing a pic of him in the school broucher, he appears to be in his early 70's. Been making stocks all his adult life, over 800. Man, those guys from that era are just full of info, much will be lost when they are gone. The instructor that taught stock making when I went to school had learned from his father as a teenager. I graduated in '93, the instructor retired in '95, that will tell you about how old a man he is.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ya, thats the "deal" with custom wood these days, the price! There are only a few out in the world who know how and can do a expert job, a dying art, so to speak. Time and patients, have a plan, have the proper tools (you can't buy 'um at ACE). Clayton Nelson will be at the Wanamaker Show next month. I plan on being there to meet him in person as he will be teaching a stock making class at Trinadad this late spring and I am thinking about, possibly, attending. It would help me 'brush-up' my skills and I'd bet he knows a trick or two (or three or four or five!) that haven't crossed my pea sized brain. After speaking with him over the phone and seeing a pic of him in the school broucher, he appears to be in his early 70's. Been making stocks all his adult life, over 800. Man, those guys from that era are just full of info, much will be lost when they are gone. The instructor that taught stock making when I went to school had learned from his father as a teenager. I graduated in '93, the instructor retired in '95, that will tell you about how old a man he is.

An some nice scroll work done as well. I do know the cost, but its been a companion for over 30yrs, still looks new, and I think she needs alittle window dressing. Of course if I never can have it done I won't loose any sleep over it. When its time to pass her on she'll still look the same.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yes, it's those that we each find special that deserve those "extra" touches. If I fancy a gun into my personal collection, it will probobly never leave. I think, over the the years, may two have left. I know what I want, and after I get it I'm not about to change my mind!

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yes, it's those that we each find special that deserve those "extra" touches. If I fancy a gun into my personal collection, it will probobly never leave. I think, over the the years, may two have left. I know what I want, and after I get it I'm not about to change my mind!

Very true!! I've had some that I've traded, or sold to purchase others, but there are ones I have that will never leave me. These will be passed down, as to what happens to them after that it really won't matter as I will be in the big gunstore in the sky.

Latest posts

Top Bottom