Cutting out negativity in the form of friends and family

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have a very limited Facebook profile I regretably made to keep up with a friend living abroad. I recently deleted almost everyone. I have ~45 left now. Probably be less than that soon. No need to get off FB if your only friends are people you like and have slept under the same roof with.

I deleted my cousin last night because she was continually being annoying. She sent me a message "you unfriend me because I disagree with you? Seriously? Grow up."

My pride wanted to say "no, I 'unfriended' you because you are a terrible person and the very thought of you makes my day worse" And grow up? Go to rehab, pay your first bill or get your first job before age 50 and we'll talk about growing up.' Instead I blocked her. I'm sure the family is abuzz now about this. How I've "changed". That's fine. My pride is not worth continued interaction with these people. I have changed - I no longer feel the need to tolerate this.

My mom's ties to these people makes it harder, but like I said, I'm close to my parents and grandma. I'll continue to be.

Even my sister has been too consumed by these jerks. I love my sister to death and would never cut her out, but I am restructuring when and where we hang out and what we talk about. IE, no more ****** friends and family conversations. Keep it light.

I'm a depressed dude a lot of the time, but I have found how to be a little happier. I'm also a good dude and some very good people would vouch for that. I feel I have good, trustworthy people in my life for a reason. My best friends have keys to my house. I've slept on hospital couches next to some and they'd do the same for me. The negative people I talk about don't have that - they don't give enough to get it.

I think I can all but forget about these losers, and still keep the people I care about. It'll just take some finesse.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cut the cords dude, I did several years ago when my two daughters were very young. Did not want them to be raised around the messes you described, as we had them too. I came from a very, very violent family. Trust me you will be better off distancing yourself from that. You know it is the right thing to do, in the very way you posted the question. Do it.

Last edited:

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ridge Ol buddy. Here's my inebriated spin. You marry your very best freind then you make a couple more with who ya married. Anyone outside that circle comes n goes. Only a few will ever make the list that gets a free pass.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One night I cut my FB friends from a little over 600 to 100. Then about 3 days later I killed my FB account. It started to seem like FB was more about snooping on people then keeping up with people. I do not miss it one bit. I cut out all of my worthless friends several years ago. I would rather have a couple of really good friends that I can trust, then to have a bunch of friends that I would not loan $20 bucks too. Family. Well, I told them about 8 years ago that they could support me, or kiss my ass. I will be fine either way. Some still do not talk to me and some of us are closer now then ever. I am sure that some of you noticed that I only spend about 10% of the time on OSA that I use too. Nothing personal to my friends on OSA, but I am busy spending time with my wife and kids. They are my focus. Everything else means very little to me and I sure as hell am not going to let the little things bring me down.

Was wondering where you've been but I too have really slacked off from Facebook. I predict that in 3 years FB will be mostly history.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was wondering where you've been but I too have really slacked off from Facebook. I predict that in 3 years FB will be mostly history.
Yea. I do wish I would have taken the time to let a lot of you guys know I was getting off.
It was one of those things. I made up my mind and off I went. lol

FlimFlam

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's some real talk RidgeHunter. I've been through similar and am still working through it to some extent.

An article that helped a lot with my group of friends from high school : 5 Geek social fallacies

When you are a nice person, it's tough to realize some people are just wasting your time or even malicious and cause strife wherever they go.

USN-SCW-Ret

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand what you are talking about and see it at some of my family get togethers. It is a sad commentary to the state of things in American culture . Clint Eastwood touched on it in "Grand Torino", and I personally wish my family was closer like many other cultures and minorities that live in America.
Example I needed to put in a new fence post in my suburban yard, one post hole to dig, mix some quikcrete, set the pole, drink some beers. I could not get any of my adult kids to help, not even for some pocket money. Health problems prevents me from doing it myself. So I hired a couple nice Hispanics fellows to be my sons for the morning fence pole job today. But for real I understand RidgeHunter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom