Cutting vs swaging primer crimps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both are fine. Cheaper and faster to chuck a cutter in a drill and do them by hand. Trade off is your hands will get tired holding the brass fairly quickly. I do them this way in batches

swage can be slower and more by feel. The RCBS die really needs to be setup for one kind of brass at a time or you’ll probably end up bending the rod. Also typically done on a single stage press. Won’t work on my 650

dillon tool. Supposed to be much faster and better. No experience but there is supposed to be a rubber band mod to aid in faster ejection.

mod for Dillon 650. By feel also. Hit or miss reviews. Dillon says it will void your warranty. I own the tool but have never installed it

the big Dillon machine has one built in. Probably the fastest / best option if you can justify the cost of the machine

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased a New RCBS swager and it did not work for my lake city 308 cases and barely worked for .223/5.56 cases
I had to cut all the primer pockets on the .308 or destroy primers.
I was using CCI 200 primers.
many of the .223 cases would destroy primers or the primer would cut the pocket and I would have a sliver of brass left in the primer seater.

This was done on a cast iron single stage press.

I cut all my primer pockets now with this VLD tool for my .223/5.56 I sold the swager and do not miss it.
shopping

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have both the RCBS pocket swager and the primer pocket cutter sets.
I prefer swager at this point it seems faster for me and with no mess i like it more.
I've Probably only have done a couple thousand of each so limited experience for me.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Swaging doesnt remove brass which is very good. Cutting removes brass which can be bad. The RCBS swaging takes some tedious setup and can be hard to get right but it is the best way. Its just not the fastest way.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to cut the pockets. Shells with small primers are harder to do than large primers.
Now I have purchased a Dillon swaging tool & will never look back. It works soo good & easy & fast.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to cut the pockets. Shells with small primers are harder to do than large primers.
Now I have purchased a Dillon swaging tool & will never look back. It works soo good & easy & fast.
Yep, the Dillon super swage is great. Cutting by hand is tiresome and imprecise. The Dillon swages every pocket the same. Like Mr T said, never looking back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom