CV 19 When will we take it seriously?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
@tRidiot
What does the test consist of? What are the parameters for being tested?
What are they looking for? What time frame from test to answer?
Inquiring minds

The test we have now is a posterior nasopharyngeal swab. Basically just like the older flu test, we stick a q-tip was deep in your nose, put it in a viral culture medium or universal culture medium and send it off. I assume they're doing something like a Western blot test to identify the presence of certain proteins, or a DNA amplification test. If it were a simple antigen detection test by antibody application, we could have results anywhere from 6-30 minutes, like strep and flu tests we do in the office right now.

I know one guy who ordered 2k tests and is waiting for them to be approved by the FDA to be allowed for general use. They require a simple fingerstick blood test - I assume these are antibody tests. This is what we use for mononucleosis in the office right now.

Parameters for testing... that's a good question. Of course, we hear of lots of 'asymptomatic' people getting tested. My parameters would be someone high risk - meaning known exposure or recently traveled to an area with a high current infection rate (like Italy or Spain) and has symptoms - cough and fever. the parameters are variable based on how many tests you have available, and how many people need testing. Last I knew, in our office we had 3 tests left. After testing about 5 or 6. Still no results on any of those. Sounds like a week or so from the lab we are using - they get sent to Dallas, and from there apparently to Vermont. Freaking ridiculous.

All of this seems to change almost every day. Go figure.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
im sure most people recognize that some jobs are essential. Just as I’m sure some healthcare workers wish they weren’t essential.

but the fact that some people must go to work should reinforce to those with a choice that maybe staying at home on the couch ain’t so bad
The number of essential workers is staggering. Take a hospital which is like a small town. It's not just doctors and nurses but technicians, plant maintenance workers, janitors, security, procurement/billing/it people and food service workers that keep it running. Some hospitals even have day care facilities for the workers.

Think how many it takes to keep grocery stores and filling stations open and the supply chain going.

And those are just a couple of examples.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The test we have now is a posterior nasopharyngeal swab. Basically just like the older flu test, we stick a q-tip was deep in your nose, put it in a viral culture medium or universal culture medium and send it off. I assume they're doing something like a Western blot test to identify the presence of certain proteins, or a DNA amplification test. If it were a simple antigen detection test by antibody application, we could have results anywhere from 6-30 minutes, like strep and flu tests we do in the office right now.

I know one guy who ordered 2k tests and is waiting for them to be approved by the FDA to be allowed for general use. They require a simple fingerstick blood test - I assume these are antibody tests. This is what we use for mononucleosis in the office right now.

Parameters for testing... that's a good question. Of course, we hear of lots of 'asymptomatic' people getting tested. My parameters would be someone high risk - meaning known exposure or recently traveled to an area with a high current infection rate (like Italy or Spain) and has symptoms - cough and fever. the parameters are variable based on how many tests you have available, and how many people need testing. Last I knew, in our office we had 3 tests left. After testing about 5 or 6. Still no results on any of those. Sounds like a week or so from the lab we are using - they get sent to Dallas, and from there apparently to Vermont. Freaking ridiculous.

All of this seems to change almost every day. Go figure.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom