CV 19 When will we take it seriously?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Parameters for testing... that's a good question. Of course, we hear of lots of 'asymptomatic' people getting tested. My parameters would be someone high risk - meaning known exposure or recently traveled to an area with a high current infection rate (like Italy or Spain) and has symptoms - cough and fever. the parameters are variable based on how many tests you have available, and how many people need testing. Last I knew, in our office we had 3 tests left. After testing about 5 or 6. Still no results on any of those. Sounds like a week or so from the lab we are using - they get sent to Dallas, and from there apparently to Vermont. Freaking ridiculous.

All of this seems to change almost every day. Go figure.

the CEO of our local hospital said their current parameter includes doing a standard flu test and a standard strep test once the person is interviewed about symptoms. So basically they are working hard to make the Covid test the last one they have to do.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
the CEO of our local hospital said their current parameter includes doing a standard flu test and a standard strep test once the person is interviewed about symptoms. So basically they are working hard to make the Covid test the last one they have to do.

That was initially suggested, personally I put no stock in that. Having a positive flu test doesn't even lower the index of suspicion for COVID.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was initially suggested, personally I put no stock in that. Having a positive flu test doesn't even lower the index of suspicion for COVID.
I can see that. I’m guessing they will say go home and don’t spread it and hope that they will treat it in the same way they would a positive for either.

There is probably more ‘make it up as you go along’ here than we’d like to admit

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
1000.jpeg

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see that. I’m guessing they will say go home and don’t spread it and hope that they will treat it in the same way they would a positive for either.

There is probably more ‘make it up as you go along’ here than we’d like to admit
Another confounding factor is we are still having a LOT of people who have influenza. Partner worked this weekend tested 5 and had 4 positives, she thinks the 5th probably has CV. Nothing to be done about it, though...

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
The number of essential workers is staggering. Take a hospital which is like a small town. It's not just doctors and nurses but technicians, plant maintenance workers, janitors, security, procurement/billing/it people and food service workers that keep it running. Some hospitals even have day care facilities for the workers.

Think how many it takes to keep grocery stores and filling stations open and the supply chain going.

And those are just a couple of examples.

Those are all good points. I don't think most folks realize how important what most so called average people do daily is to everyone else having the lifestyle they do.

I never really thought about folks that have to work in inclement weather till I worked jobs were I had to travel in it and be exposed to it for just short periods. That gave me a whole new respect for linesmen that work in some awful conditions for hours and days on end or folks with livestock that have to be tended to no matter the weather. We always think of police,fire and rescue as being on the front lines. Well the front-lines is 6 feet away for a lot of people right now who are keeping stores open, water running and power on.

I heard today Wal-mart is wanting to hire 3600 people in OK. Guys if this doesn't give you a new respect for grocery workers and others. You need to reevaluate yourself. Same with healthcare workers and others that are on the front line of this crisis. They are putting their lives in danger to help keep everything in this country afloat. These people have lives, families, kids. Truckers keeping supplies moving. Chicken house operators keeping eggs going to the store. All these things are essential and should be shown respect. A job title should never define a man or woman. Anyone that is going to work tomorrow or did last week. Their job may not be glamours but they are putting themselves at risk to keep our country going. Be thankful for these folks and don't dismiss them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This isn't meant to be a jab at your or anything, but one problem with comparisons like this is that you're comparing a known outcome with an unknown. It's impossible to say that cases now wont be higher (or lower, for that matter), so saying that 'the flu is worse' because you have an entire year's data vs a handful of months isn't an accurate comparison.

Also, recognize that the totals for covid are still rising *despite* an unprecedented level of response. What would flu levels look like if we had social distancing? Yes, there is heightened awareness and fear, but also heightened response and yet we still unsure if we've done enough.

And when comparing deaths, the two have a distinct difference in natural immunity. We know the flu, have vaccinations for it and have exposure to it for all our lives. Those things play into a natural response that helps most people get over it better. We don't have that with covid 19.

But as has been stated many times, most people will get over this and a certain percentage will die (in much the same way as with the flu). But the load on our health system will play a big roll in what happens to the group that will get it and will need medical treatment. I think that is something that a lot of people miss when making the comparison to the flu. The rate of speed here is going to force a lot of tough choices to be made and the overall fatality rate will be affected by those choices.
You totally misread and misunderstood what I was saying. I was referencing that this heightened awareness of washing hands, distancing, etc was never practiced during past flu seasons. I brought out the number of deaths to illustrate that the flu is a serious illness.
This virus is bringing heightened awareness of what we should all be doing during flu season, and maybe the death toll wouldn't be so hi. Perhaps I could have worded it better but that was the intent of the comment.
I don't need coached on the effects of the coronavirus. I think we are all far enough into this that most of us fully understand the implications of a pandemic and its effects on our population and economy.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Theoretically let us say there is a small lake community town in Kansas with two small cafes. Before this virus hit one cafe owner closed up and went to Europe on vacation with a friend. When they returned the friend tested positive for CV19. The cafe owner did not and will not close or self quarantine. The community doesn't know about the friend or the CV19 test results. The community then visits the other cafe as they have only two and they like variety. Let's say the town is a farming town on a major highway close to a truck stop.

Because of the actions of one person that didn't take the situation seriously.

Latest posts

Top Bottom