Daughters First Buck.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Going to give her her own thread on this one, she earned it this evening!

We finally had the right wind direction to hunt what we were hoping was left of a pond this evening. Until this last year, there was a tower stand overlooking it, but it was destroyed this last spring during a tornado and I never got it put back up. It's deep in a bedding area and we just haven't had the right days and the right wind to try it yet. As we got within a few yards of where we were going to sit, we had three does run down into the pond and drink, so we let them move on before we got into position. We found us a spot in the tall weeds, made us a narrow shooting lane and within five minutes, the buck that she would later harvest came into the dry pond, skirted it out of range, and moved on to the North. For the next thirty minutes, birds, squirrels, armadillos(thought about you Dennis:)), pheasants and quail came to water at the pond. Does and fawns started to pile in, and ended up having 11 in the pond at once. If you'll look in front of the button buck in the pic, there's a dark spot right below him. My daughter said at one point, "dad, is that mud in the middle moving?" We watched for a while, and sure enough, it was a fairly large gator snapper. Every time a deer would walk in to drink, he'd duck his head. At 5:45pm, the same buck came back from the North, watched the does at the pond for a minute, then bedded in the grass for the next 50 minutes or so. We were both statues, her sitting on my right leg, ML resting on the shooting stick, for almost the next hour. The does came in and out, and finally he rose from his bed, quickly ran over and circled a doe, stopped by the waters edge, and result is in the pic below. High shoulder shot and he never took a step, 11pts and 200lbs. Taken with a Knight ML with one white hot pellet and a powerbelt. We're still pumped:)
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_photobucket_1871_1351896835727.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_photobucket_1105_1351899760711.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_photobucket_8307_1351916662867.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom