DEAD 1977 pontiac police car cheap..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You do a lot of assuming @Shakel65
This axle is this 2x3 " rectangular dropped axle. Right below. vvvv
https://trailerparts.com/2-x-3-galvanzed-2-drop-axle-5-200-lb-capacity-similar-to-6008-006.html
Wiped down with vinegar and painted red.
And my tires are not SL they are XL rated.
I told my neighbor that is a contractor about my tires I use and he was blowing out trailer tires weekly
on his double axle trailer.
New tires no less.

He now has my same tires on his trailer and have been on there for over 4 months and do not even look worn and Zero blow outs.
He told me he was amazed because he tried all different trailer tires and did not matter which ones
he got they would blow out.

He makes a lot of trips to Tulsa ..contractor for Tuff Shed.
He had another trailer but a single axle and stuck the same tires on it.

I have drug trailers all across the USA and for 30+ years and never had an accident with a trailer.

Sorry if your luck is not as good as mine or maybe it is not luck but selection of parts.
Here is wishing you the best of luck.

Judi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You do a lot of assuming @Shakel65
This axle is this 2x3 " rectangular dropped axle. Right below. vvvv
https://trailerparts.com/2-x-3-galvanzed-2-drop-axle-5-200-lb-capacity-similar-to-6008-006.html
Wiped down with vinegar and painted red.
And my tires are not SL they are XL rated.
I told my neighbor that is a contractor about my tires I use and he was blowing out trailer tires weekly
on his double axle trailer.
New tires no less.

He now has my same tires on his trailer and have been on there for over 4 months and do not even look worn and Zero blow outs.
He told me he was amazed because he tried all different trailer tires and did not matter which ones
he got they would blow out.

He makes a lot of trips to Tulsa ..contractor for Tuff Shed.
He had another trailer but a single axle and stuck the same tires on it.

I have drug trailers all across the USA and for 30+ years and never had an accident with a trailer.

Sorry if your luck is not as good as mine or maybe it is not luck but selection of parts.
Here is wishing you the best of luck.

Well...you told him good ...Thank you....

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
From a welder perspective a single axle trailer wouldn’t be my first choice for hauling a car but…

@swampratt is a pretty smart dude. I bet it’s a pretty strong trailer. I’d probably choose a heavier frame to build a trailer off of but seems like it works well for him. I always wanted to build a gooseneck trailer out of an old 1960’s or 1970’s Chevy grain truck frame.

I’ve seen semi trailers going down the Highway up here that look sketchier than a car being hauled on a single axle.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From a welder perspective a single axle trailer wouldn’t be my first choice for hauling a car but…

@swampratt is a pretty smart dude. I bet it’s a pretty strong trailer. I’d probably choose a heavier frame to build a trailer off of but seems like it works well for him. I always wanted to build a gooseneck trailer out of an old 1960’s or 1970’s Chevy grain truck frame.

I’ve seen semi trailers going down the Highway up here that look sketchier than a car being hauled on a single axle.
swampratt's credibility far exceeds that of these guys who are stalking him.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With or without a stinkin' trailer there ain't nothing that our man @swampratt can't haul. :)

haul.jpg

Shakel65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me guess. You have upgraded brakes and XL tires on the geo towing the 57 on the same trailer? Upgraded brakes, suspension and XL tires on the corolla with 1600lbs of rocks in it?

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes for anyone without a brain it could be.

I know my equipments capability because I have tested it over and over and over without fail.
I used to drive way over 70,000 miles a year and this was miles I put 70,000 on one vehicle my 78 Nova and 1/2 of those with a trailer behind it.
I had 4 other vehicles I drove during the same time frame.

No my suspension and brakes were not stock same as my 57 chevy suspension and brakes are not stock.

You do you and I will do me.
How many miles have you pulled your home built trailer?
Im still wondering what driving a nova 70k miles has to do with this home built single axle trailer carrying the loads you mentioned. To answer your question Ive used a home built dual axle trailer about 7500 miles the last 30 years. Now you know why you’ve ran many sets of tires on that trailer. Overloaded with many loads as you previously posted on your home built single axle. If the tongue weight/distribution is off or heavily loaded as you or using it then you are an accident waiting to happen. If you have an accident or near accident or brake too much at speed with these loads you’ve posted your tongue weight will affect your tow vehicle tremendously. I hope you never have an accident with these loads but if you do please record and post the part you tell an officer or court system but officer Ive tested my home built single axle trailer pulling 10500 lbs.of sod.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have worn many sets of tires out on this trailer and that is a lot of miles this has been pulled for the last 20+ years and No issues so I can and will continue to use it for everything I need it for.
I have had only 2 blow outs in 20+ years and those were unknown used tires.
My trailers including my boat trailers always have excellent tires on them and bought new.

I can see a trailer built by someone else fail but not mine.
Trailer weighs 1,200 lbs empty.

This car will donate a lot of it's parts to various vehicles.
Should be fun.
I almost got it to start ..cranked over and coughed a few times.
Many sets = overloaded single axle
Unknown tires = not always bought new
Mine wont fail = Hold my beer

Latest posts

Top Bottom