Death by exploding barbeque project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I BBQ in a 55 gallon drum. It was a food grade drum with no liner. It's the easiest way to bbq. I can cook for 16 hours and never have to add more charcoal.

Look up Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS), you can make your own smoker for less then $100 and it cooks great bbq with less effort.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I BBQ in a 55 gallon drum. It was a food grade drum with no liner. It's the easiest way to bbq. I can cook for 16 hours and never have to add more charcoal.

Look up Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS), you can make your own smoker for less then $100 and it cooks great bbq with less effort.

His problem wasn't that he was using a drum, it's that it was an oil drum.

T.R.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, I think his problem was that he didn't know what he was doing. I made my UDS out of an old oil drum without any issues. Ya just gotta make sure all traces of the oil are removed before doing anything else.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That really sucks. I made a double barrel heater for my shop using two oil drums. One was clean, the other had some residual oil in it, but it was hydraulic oil, it would just burn and it would take a sight more than a few sparks to ignite. I have welded a few gas tanks, but I thoroughly purge them with water (a couple times) then I use a trick I learned from an old-timer: Put the tank over the tailpipe of a running car for 10-15 minutes. The carbon monoxide will ensure the fuel fumes are purged AND the fill the tank so that it doesn't explode. Its cheaper than filling the tank with CO2 or Argon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom