Death on Everest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been to base camp (no mountaineering involved). From what I read the mountain is way "overbooked".Too much money to be made. There are multiple scandles associated with how things are being run. Permission to climb is 10K a head payable to the government. I'm sure the expedition costs are far above that.

People climbing over dying climbers. Local Sherpa porters risking their lives, making extra trips across the unhighly unstable ice fall stretch to ferry confort/luxury items (chairs and table and luxury food) to the higher camps.

Everest and the surrounding mountains are magnificent. But it is an overcrowded circus just getting to basecamp. Too popular.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't understand why they're allowed to leave junk up there. Oughtta be an outrageous fine for each item left behind IMO. :/
Probably for the same reason I have 3000 gallons of crude all over us and the neighbors after the floods. It's all about the money and they could care less about the pollution and the environment. Money talks and Bullshat walks.
The next time you see a commercial with a Native American looking at a trash dump and a tear in their eye, you have my permission to laugh out loud.
There has been zero clean up.

f9eeadde29ec8e8f92750cffaa359ec6.jpg

c69b6effd63f5f4ef8efd894d4c8dfc4.jpg

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably for the same reason I have 3000 gallons of crude all over us and the neighbors after the floods. It's all about the money and they could care less about the pollution and the environment.
Yeah, but at least they didn't tote it up a mountain and leave it there on purpose.

Sorry bud. Surely they'll make some attempt at cleanup after the rains stop. Eventually. Assuming the rains actually stop...

Unfortunately... given the amount of oil wells in OK (and the amount of flooding), you may be one of a large crowd. No telling how many pits & lagoons have overflowed, and some tanks & flow lines may have also been taken out. :/

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forget who it was who asked the question and who answered it, but some guy asked some other guy who liked to climb mountains why he did it. The Mountain Climbing Guy answered: "Because it's there". No kidding.
It was Sir Edmund Hillary, and he was, ironically enough, answering a question about why he wanted to climb Everest. Of course, it was a little bit different, as he was the first confirmed to have done it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom