Deciding on CC gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKDiesel

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time post.

I am getting my CC permit next month (hopefully) and looking for a CC gun. I have a HK USP .40 S&W. Love the gun, shoot well with it, but seems a little large for CC. Was thinking about either a Glock 27 or XD subcompact in .40 S&W for primary and Ruger LCP for backup or when the other is too large for the clothing. Been to a couple of guns shows in Ft Smith and held all of them, but have not shot any of them. Liked the XD sub better then Glock as I could get a extra finger around the grip.

I have had a couple people tell me to keep the HK, but I have found it hard to hide.

Let me know your thoughts. I may end up at the gun show in Tulsa to sell/trade the HK and by something else. I want a good idea of what I am wanting before I go so I can research prices and the value of my HK.

Thx.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep the HK. . .and use the CCW permit as a good excuse to buy something else.

Or, just start out carrying the HK. Get comfortable wearing a firearm all the time, figure out what you like and don't like, then buy something else to maximize the likes and minimize the dislikes.

It's starting to cool off, which makes concealing a larger firearm that much easier.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry the slightly smaller HK USP Compact .40 everyday, and I find it comfortable. If I had to buy for CC again I'd go with something a bit smaller. I'm currently eyeing a Kahr CW9 for my wife. I haven't heard anything bad about it except that some early models had problems with dropping magazines when halfway empty. But keep your USP. The full sized ones are a pleasure to take out and shoot.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep the HK for home defense.

There a many compact and subcompacts on the market today. Surely one will meet your needs. But, what works for me, may not work for you.

In addition to Glock and Springfield, check out CZ, Sig, Kahr and S&W semi-autos.

The LCP is a great BUG. You can't go wrong with that one.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes people feel self conscious about carrying and don't realize how well they conceal certain firearms. I could perfectly conceal a full size gun in most public situations. However, after some family members saw my piece when I was working on one of their home theater systems (I was bent over the back of an equipment rack), I've had to go to a pocket pistol after they threw their fit (I know they constantly scope me out to see if I'm carrying, which is a whole different matter). In any public outing, where the greatest extent of my movement was picking up pickles from the bottom shelf, my piece was invisible.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time post.

I am getting my CC permit next month (hopefully) and looking for a CC gun. I have a HK USP .40 S&W. Love the gun, shoot well with it, but seems a little large for CC. Was thinking about either a Glock 27 or XD subcompact in .40 S&W for primary and Ruger LCP for backup or when the other is too large for the clothing. Been to a couple of guns shows in Ft Smith and held all of them, but have not shot any of them. Liked the XD sub better then Glock as I could get a extra finger around the grip.

I have had a couple people tell me to keep the HK, but I have found it hard to hide.

Let me know your thoughts. I may end up at the gun show in Tulsa to sell/trade the HK and by something else. I want a good idea of what I am wanting before I go so I can research prices and the value of my HK.

Thx.

Little different view point here.
Try this first go take a hangun class at one of the local training companies
like www.oklahomashootingskills.com, in OKC or TDSA in Tulsa.
I so wish I would have done that first I would have saved So much money!!
This way you can see what works for other people and get Really good advice from the instructors. and in the end probably save 5 times what the class and ammo cost you...

Latest posts

Top Bottom