Decoy spread gadgets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
This season has been horrible for me. I think you either have ducks or you don't right now but with this front I'm hoping things change. Texas rigging is the only way to go with decoys. Amazing how much time it saves!

I've never hunted a field and don't know the first thing about it. Where do you even start with that?

Not an expert waterfowler, Porter is more likely the one to ask, and I think each corner of the state will vary, since the water/feed situation is different. The following info is for ducks, not geese. We've got the grain fields, but little water. So we'd field hunt morning or evening..........as the ducks USUALLY are on water at night and then find water to loaf on during the midday. Trick is finding THE one field they want to be in, or make an attempt at getting between their water and THE field they want to be in and you might be able to intercept a few.
There's a few theories on decoys spreads and tactics for field hunting, I think we've tried them all, with ducks it doesn't really seem to prefer one over the other. We'll put out a 3-5 dozen goose shells, two or three dozen duck floaters (just nestle them into the milo or corn stubble), and two or three mojo ducks. Place your layout blinds with the wind at your back, with the decoys around you and and mostly in front of you, mojos right next to your head, or just off to the side, or just out in front of you off to the side. We usually have decoys no further away that 10 yards. A well brushed in layout blind is worth its weight in gold, keeps you out of elements as well.

Some things we've learned as well...........the best field hunts for us have been on clear, calm, and bitterly cold days.....the colder the better. Cloudy, really windy days, we'll still see birds, but they just don't seem to want to land, they'll just fly around, check your your spread a little, come back and do the same thing over again until dark........that's happened to us several times.
Here's a video from last winter, we'd just shot a limit and these were coming in after legal shooting time. We usually call very little. One hunt last year, I ran out for a quick hunt with my kids, threw them both in an extra layout blind, had my daughter drive the truck to the edge of the field while I set up real quick, and in the flurry, I forgot my calls in the truck.......shot a limit with no calls in about 20 minutes. If they ducks want in that field, it doesn't take much coaxing. Goose setup is another deal, ask Porter or oklahomabassin. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
When not using my decoys that are Texas rigged, I hang them from the carabiner. This trains the cords to stay straight, and they'll stay almost tangle free. Don't leave them in a decoy bag.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When not using my decoys that are Texas rigged, I hang them from the carabiner. This trains the cords to stay straight, and they'll stay almost tangle free. Don't leave them in a decoy bag.

This! Texas Rigged decoys eliminates the need for a decoy bag.

Also, save you money by making your own. $32 for a 6 rigged is ridiculous. Get the sliding egg catfish weights, some heavy mono or weedeater line and some crimps. $10 later you have a dozen that are the right length for your water. Ask okie, too short of decoy lines make for wandering dekes into open water.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And those giant carabiners are much easier to use with cold hands than the small ones. Don't know how many little ones I've dropped in the lake.

You can tie a big overhand knot in the strings to make it easier to carry them, but don't leave them that way or they will permanently kink.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I spend good money for high end decoys, I leave them in the slotted decoy bag. I'm protecting my investment. I don't want the flocked heads getting beat up. I haven't had any issue with tangling using PVC cord. I put 6 deeks per carabiner and I leave them hooked to the carabiner when in the bag. I leave the carabiners hooked to my waders so I don't drop it. Then grab a deek and hook it to the carabiner and let it float behind me as I gather the others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom